A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash cams

Do you recommend any dash cams for a D5 S8? I drive a lot in and around NYC - dash cams are a necessity around here.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

Also curious to hear opinions about dashcams you guys use on your A8. There are so many of them out there but I am yet to find one that is user friendly where you can easily see the videos without jumping through a slew of menus and pages.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Personally have a BlackVue 900 series. Good resolution, but admittedly a bit pricier than other options. Can pop out the SD card and view on a laptop/PC, or connect wirelessly through the app. The only trick is you must disconnect the Audi from the Audi internet first.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Why do you need to "easily" see the videos? To post them on TikTok?
I use my Garmin dashcam as an insurance, it's always running when I drive but I never review the videos unless needed.
All dashcams can do this!
Old 02-17-2024, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ
Why do you need to "easily" see the videos? To post them on TikTok?
I use my Garmin dashcam as an insurance, it's always running when I drive but I never review the videos unless needed.
All dashcams can do this!
That is funny. TikTok? The need to see them easily is just in case you need to show a trooper or cop the videos in case of an accident. One does not always carry a laptop in the car to pop the storage drive out to view the last video/incident. And the apps that come with a lot of these dash cams are not that user friendly and very finicky to deal with, at least for an old man like me who does not have a social media account. Now, most cop cars do have laptops and I guess you can trust them to view the video, but what if they accidently erased this video? The likelihood of this happening is unlikely, but believe it or not, it has happened to a good friend of mine, and it was the only evidence he had at the time to prove his innocence in his accident. So I hope this answers your questions of why I need to "easily" see them. I just do not like complicated software.

Last edited by pcc125; 02-17-2024 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pcc125
The need to see them easily is just in case you need to show a trooper or cop the videos in case of an accident.
You seem to be stopped often. That is not my case! Never!
Old 02-17-2024, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by huntpsu1
Personally have a BlackVue 900 series. Good resolution, but admittedly a bit pricier than other options. Can pop out the SD card and view on a laptop/PC, or connect wirelessly through the app. The only trick is you must disconnect the Audi from the Audi internet first.
I've just bought a Blackvue along with the Connecta socket & cable that takes power via the diagnostic port to save hard wiring. Will fit next week.
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ
You seem to be stopped often. That is not my case! Never!
Cute
Old 02-20-2024, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque450
I've just bought a Blackvue along with the Connecta socket & cable that takes power via the diagnostic port to save hard wiring. Will fit next week.
Fitted behind the rear view mirror, used a plastic trim tool to run the power cable just under the headlining edge, and down behind the inner door seal.Then prised off the plastic end panel where there's plenty of room to feed the remaining cable inside the dash void and the obd plug down under the dash into the obd socket.

Surprised myself with how professional it looks. No hardwiring required as it takes power from the obd. It also has a flick switch so it shuts down automatically after 5 minutes rather than parking mode, which waits until the battery gets down to 12v. You just have to change a toggle option on the ap.The other tip is to write down the camera password before you fit it snugly against the rear view mirror! Took about an hour, being very careful.

Now onto the rear camera !

Old 02-21-2024, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque450
Fitted behind the rear view mirror, used a plastic trim tool to run the power cable just under the headlining edge, and down behind the inner door seal.Then prised off the plastic end panel where there's plenty of room to feed the remaining cable inside the dash void and the obd plug down under the dash into the obd socket.

Surprised myself with how professional it looks. No hardwiring required as it takes power from the obd. It also has a flick switch so it shuts down automatically after 5 minutes rather than parking mode, which waits until the battery gets down to 12v. You just have to change a toggle option on the ap.The other tip is to write down the camera password before you fit it snugly against the rear view mirror! Took about an hour, being very careful.

Now onto the rear camera !
how come you can't just tap into the power available in the rear view mirror? I did this for my radar detector.

Quick Reply: Dash cams