A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ex S-Class owners - how does the A8 compare ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Ex S-Class owners - how does the A8 compare ?

Having had a D5 for 6 months now, I'm interested to hear what previous owners of Mercedes S Class think of the A8?

I really rate the A8 - it's car number 106 for me, but I nearly bought an S Class ...
Old 06-08-2024, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

I owned two S classes in the past (a 1992 S class, and a 2004 S class). I went from a 2000 Audi A8 to the 2004 S class, and I regretted that move and traded the 2004 S class for a 2006 A8. I tested the newer S classes but always went back to the A8. I am biased as I like Audis, and I have nothing against Mercedes Benz at all. I still own two Mercedes cars, a 1995 E320 Cabriolet, and a 1998 SL500. In my humble opinion, Mercedes today does not build cars like they used to. To me, the understated elegance and performance of the Audi A8 is second to none.
The following 4 users liked this post by pcc125:
angrypengu (06-08-2024), KK22 (06-08-2024), Nice VW (06-15-2024), Torque450 (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcc125
I owned two S classes in the past (a 1992 S class, and a 2004 S class). I went from a 2000 Audi A8 to the 2004 S class, and I regretted that move and traded the 2004 S class for a 2006 A8. I tested the newer S classes but always went back to the A8. I am biased as I like Audis, and I have nothing against Mercedes Benz at all. I still own two Mercedes cars, a 1995 E320 Cabriolet, and a 1998 SL500. In my humble opinion, Mercedes today does not build cars like they used to. To me, the understated elegance and performance of the Audi A8 is second to none.
Is there anything about the later model S Class that you prefer / or you would like Audi to improve ? I also like the understated nature.
Old 06-08-2024, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

I like the exterior of the newest S class but the interior is a bit too techy for my taste. I am old school and like simpler tech, if there is such a thing. The A8 is really close to perfect in my opinion, and if I had any gripes, it would be about my iphone not being consistent in connecting to the MMI. But that is really a minor gripe, and a first world issue. Audi can also improve their phone app as I believe it causes the iphone not to connect at times. One can argue this to be an iphone issue...
The following 4 users liked this post by pcc125:
angrypengu (06-08-2024), leomaestro (06-14-2024), Nice VW (06-15-2024), Torque450 (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

I had a W140 and a W220 (I still miss the 220 despite the insane rust due to the whole Daimler crap). To me, these were the last two well built S classes. I can see myself owning the 221 but the 222/223 are just cost cutting nightmares to me. Take the 222/223 as an example. No headlamp washers. The W223 also has no resistive spring for the back armrest so when you pull it it just slams down.

Most people won't notice, but detail oriented (putting it nicely) individuals (like me) notice. The 5LS (LS500 is also a cost cutting nightmare).

I've been eyeing a post FL W220 with 12,000 (yes, twelve thousand) kilometers on Autotrader. I'm tempted to buy it....
The following 2 users liked this post by angrypengu:
leomaestro (06-14-2024), Torque450 (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

W140 and W220 and a W163. They were, IMO comparable to the A8 of their time. Current S class seems about a horse apiece with the A8 I have.
The following 2 users liked this post by aklim69:
angrypengu (06-09-2024), Torque450 (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aklim69
W140 and W220 and a W163. They were, IMO comparable to the A8 of their time. Current S class seems about a horse apiece with the A8 I have.
Interesting. What does the current S Class do better than the A8 in your view (assuming both are similar overall)
Old 06-09-2024, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I owned a 2012 S63 AMG (W221) before getting my 2023 S8. I also drove a 2023 S580 for 2 months before I leased my S8.

First, let's cover the older S63 AMG. The S63 had a 6.3L V8 biturbo, 630 HP. The exhaust note was glorious. It's a deep, angry growl at startup. And under acceleration it only gets better. The turbos whistle like mad and the engine sounds like a demon dog from hell.
It's like a German muscle car. It's a really big car so it's not something you would expect to fling around a track, but on the highway is where it shines. It's like a tank that can go 185 mph. It feels so solid and planted like nothing could possibly shake it. An amazing car for long trips.
I drove this car from SC to Scottsdale, AZ in 2 days and it was an absolute blast. I had every option on this car that was available, so the tech was impressive. Active seats, Distronic cruise control with lane keep, night vision, etc....
The seats were ultra comfortable, too. Rear seats had power recline, heat/cooling and massage. Front seats had everything imaginable. One feature I loved is that the driver has full control over the passenger seat settings from the door controls.

The 2023 S580 is a very different car from my AMG. The obvious main difference is the engine. The AMG engine was designed for the visceral experience, while the S580 engine was designed for refinement. There is very little engine note when driving the S580. Even under acceleration its muted by design.
The power is still there, but it's not the raw power of the AMG. No growl, no turbo whine. The S580 drives very comfortably both around town and on the highway. The model I was driving was fully loaded and it had just about all the tech features they offer. It had the 3D augmented reality HUD, the Burmester audio, 4 wheel steering. The tech on the S580 is mind blowing. The HUD is like nothing I have seen before. It's not just a tiny little video image that floats over your hood in a 9 inch square box. It's like the entire windshield if the HUD. The 3D effect of the HUD means that the images they display actually appear to be out hundreds of feet in front of the car. Your eyes feel less strain because you are not trying to refocus between the HUD and the cars in front of you. When you put the cruise control on, the HUD places target icons under the cars in front of you like a video game. When you want to make a lane change, you just tap the blinker and the car automatically checks the blind spot and makes the lane change when safe. The HUD will throw an arrow pointing at your next exit as you approach it. The arrow appears to get closer to you as if it's actually out there next to the exit sign. It's difficult for me to convey how cool this stuff was. What was most impressive about it was that it worked so intuitively. For example, I was waiting at a stop sign to make a turn. There was a car coming and I must have started to let off the brake because the car gave me the cross-traffic warning. The cross traffic warning was not just a simple beep and a small red icon like the S8. The engine LED light strip on the dash lit up with a pointer motion to indicate which direction the car was coming from. You couldn't help but look exactly where the LEDs were pointing, without even thinking about it.

After spending a couple of months with the S580, I ended up getting a 2023 S8. My first reactions to driving the S8 were:

1. Technology. I felt like I had gone back in time 10 years. The tech on the S8 feels very outdated compared to the S580. This was by far the most immediate and glaring difference between the two cars. After 2 months I had really become used to the self-driving features and the 3D HUD on the merc, and the Audi felt like a step back in time.

2. Engine note. The S8 engine sounds a lot more sporty than the S580. Definitely a win for Audi here.

3. Exterior looks, Audi wins for sure. The Mercedes looks more old and frumpy.

4. Performance. The Audi accelerates better and feels more like a performance car. It feels lighter and more agile, while the Mercedes feels more heavy. Both are fast, but the Audi feels more like a sports car than the S580.

5. Stereo. The Burmester on the S580 was better than the Bang & Olufsen in my S8. I actually find the B&O to be one of the more disappointing features on the S8. Very little user control is offered, i.e. no EQ available. Just basic tone controls.

I'm happy with the S8, I think it's a great car. But I would absolutely still consider a Mercedes in the future. Honestly, I might have got the S580 instead of my S8 if the Merc dealer had one in the color I wanted and with the options I wanted.
Audi had the S8 on the lot in the color I wanted and with the options, and I was in a hurry to get a car so I grabbed it. Audi was also discounting the S8 at the time, which was another plus.

Anyway, both are great cars. To generalize, I would say the Mercedes is more refined while the Audi is more sport-oriented. Mercedes has the latest tech while the Audi is using older tech that doesn't overshadow the drive experience as much.
The following 4 users liked this post by subterFUSE:
leomaestro (06-14-2024), Nice VW (06-15-2024), S8RST (06-09-2024), Torque450 (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a really great summary!

I too had a fully loaded '23 S580 with every option in Selenite Gray Magno with silver interior. I had kept the car for 6 months before trading it in.

I agree with many of the points you made however I would add a few based on my personal experience now owing a new S8 also with every option.

Mercedes S580:
-Was extremely boring to drive, it's really a car to be driven in. There was little to no feedback from the steering and the power delivery and acceleration is subdued.
-While the tech was great, it also had many glitches. For example, the 3D augmented reality in the dash had a camera that tracked your eye motion to ensure you could see the augmented display. Except this worked intermittently so sometimes I was left looking at a display that resembled being in a 3D movie without 3D glasses.
-HUD - maybe I never paid much attention to it but I don't recall it being that revolutionary, perhaps I overlooked it in general.
-The seats were ultra plush and the side bolsters adjusted with turns which was cool
-The sound system was incredible, tons of depth and certainly superior to the S8
-Factory Pirelli tires had the softest sidewalls on earth, any semi-rough pothole and you're stuck on the side of the road waiting for MB roadside for hours (this happened on my maiden voyage home from dealer)
-Unless you enjoy super soft, zero-feedback cars and want a completely emotionless driver experience the S580 won't cut it

Audi S8
-Much more sportier (which I personally enjoy)
-Interior fit and feel is as good as Mercedes if not a little superior as it really does feel like a tank inside
-The car handles and drives like it's a much smaller car
-Transmission, engine feedback, suspension agility (especially with predictive active suspension) and overall handling are far superior to S580. It almost feels like a big sports car
-The digital MATRIX LED headlights are simply incredible (I had mine programmed to EU spec). There is no other car brand that even remotely compares
-The auto parking and remote parking feature are incredible and work exceptionally well every single time
-The MMI and overall tech is far more stable than Mercedes. I got some error messages intermittently but they cleared up with a restart and have been trouble free (fingers crossed, so far)
-The sound system is slightly above average, no eq sucks, it is what it is
-The various Audi LED light animations and interior LEDs in my opinion are superior to Mercedes and far more intuitive and attractive
-The overall car feels like a drivers car. Maybe it's me but I feel like I'm in the movie Transporter every time I drive. I have other cars as well including 2 exotics and I've grabbed the keys to the S8 virtually every time I have had to drive
-S8 is also very rare, for those that know cars know what it is other than that it might as well be an A6 to the average non-car person

The new S63 seems attractive and at some point once the depreciation hits and prices come down it may be a viable option. For now, I'll enjoy the S8.
The following 4 users liked this post by harrish:
leomaestro (06-14-2024), Nice VW (06-15-2024), pcc125 (06-10-2024), Torque450 (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Out of curiosity, are folks coming from the W223 comparing the B&O Advanced or the "Premium 3D/standard" sound system?

I really do think I'm being brand agnostic here, but to me, the 5LS (LS500's) ML high end sound system > B&O Advanced 3D sound system (A8) > Burmester Advanced 3/4D stereo > B&O Premium 3D sound system (A8)

The Lexus LS500 beats the A8 in two areas. 1) sound system at the ultra premium end 2) their massage seats massage the glutes as well, not just the back.

I've never owned a W223, but that was by choice. I can see why the higher end tech is a +1 to some members though! It's not to me but I get it. The A8 is a generation behind, that is for sure, tech wise.
The following users liked this post:
Torque450 (06-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Ex S-Class owners - how does the A8 compare ?