A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ex S-Class owners - how does the A8 compare ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by KK22
I think it's mostly chassis tuning, and rear wheel steering.

This includes the horrendous winter storm of December 2022, where we had cars going off the highway left and right as far south as Tennessee, and the ice crunched under my all season Pirellis like glass as we carefully drove past the carnage.
In my case it must be the chassis set up and weight that just works, as I don't have rear wheel steer .
Old 06-11-2024, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Probably worth remembering to compare like to like. E.g. the V6 S class vs the V6 A8 and the V8s vs the V8s. Having owned or driven several S class models (except the W223), they feel very similar to me. things like wheel sizes, tires, tire pressures probably play more of a difference than chassis tuning which makes sense as they all benchmark vs each other.

Nothing particularly stands out to me in the V6 side of things. e.g. MB vs Audi are all strangely similar when comparing the D5 to the W220/221/222/223. The D4 on the other hand was just stiffer in general and rode way more like a sports car than the D5 vs the Wxxx.
The following 2 users liked this post by angrypengu:
DallasDave (06-11-2024), Torque450 (06-11-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Just remembering some more gripes I had about the 2023 S580. The lack of volume **** for the stereo is really annoying. Instead, Mercedes has these touch sensitive sliders for the volume and also for the steering wheel controls. They are quite difficult to use, often making mistakes on the first or even second attempt.

The door handles are also annoying. They are using retractable door handles like Tesla has. Very poor ergonomics and they often don't pop out when you want them to, requiring you to fumble in your pocket for the key remote.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Just remembering some more gripes I had about the 2023 S580. The lack of volume **** for the stereo is really annoying. Instead, Mercedes has these touch sensitive sliders for the volume and also for the steering wheel controls. They are quite difficult to use, often making mistakes on the first or even second attempt.

The door handles are also annoying. They are using retractable door handles like Tesla has. Very poor ergonomics and they often don't pop out when you want them to, requiring you to fumble in your pocket for the key remote.
'style over substance' ?

Old 06-13-2024, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque450
Interesting. What does the current S Class do better than the A8 in your view (assuming both are similar overall)
I didn't get to test the A8 on snow yet so I really can't say. The W140 wasn't the greatest without snow tires. Once you get into the 4Matic, we are talking about a whole new animal. You can use good tires and be happy. Please don't do too stupid a thing and expect to get away with it. A little stupid is probably
OK. Navigation, IMO isn't the nicest on the A8 since I discovered that I'd have to use the app to get my favorites and you can't have personalized keys. My 16 C7 has one key that sets to my settings and one to the wife's. The S-class does feel a bit more solid while the A8 feels a little more nimble. My personal feel is that I would rather take the S-class for a long drive of the 2 if we are going through a lot of long empty areas. If there were a lot of cities, S8. The tech seems to be more refined in the S-class but that is probably a personal feeling. I'm not an audiophile so don't ask about the stereo since I usually shut them down unless on a long cruise.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

A8 is a drivers car. S-Class a rider's car. It is a rare event that I ever use the A8s softest setting. I haven't driven an AMG S-Class but every other S-Class I've driven is too isolating even with their sportiest settings.
The following 2 users liked this post by A8bil:
KK22 (06-14-2024), Torque450 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Is there anything about the later model S Class that you prefer / or you would like Audi to improve ? I also like the understated nature.
The W223 Benz is a piece of junk, especially on the inside (cheap, squeaky, breaking plastic). The dash and gauge clusters are hideous. The Audi is 10 times better build quality than MB, but the MMI (infotainment, communication systems) suck just like they did in the D4 series. Constantly having unexplained connectivity problems and too difficult and distracting trying to change channels on the radio, looking up contacts and making calls. Of the two models, the Audi A8/S8 blows away the Benz. I have 40,000 miles on my S8 and I've had zero problems with it.
If I were looking for a replacement vehicle, I would want the W222 MB over anything out there today. The only exception might be the current BMW 7 series. The W222 was the best MB ever!
Old 06-15-2024, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcc125
The A8 is really close to perfect in my opinion, and if I had any gripes, it would be about my iphone not being consistent in connecting to the MMI. But that is really a minor gripe, and a first world issue. Audi can also improve their phone app as I believe it causes the iphone not to connect at times. One can argue this to be an iphone issue...
Exactly what I just said, and no, it is not the phone that is the problem. There are just too many things about the connectivity that have to be done perfectly and in an exact order for the car to recognize Apple car play.
Old 06-15-2024, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know what you mean about stability - I had a company S55 AMG years back and that was planted on straight roads. On the steering, I think the A8s is well-judged - maybe it's just a quicker rack or the parameters are sharper?

Interestingly for me though, I find the A8 the most stable car I've owned when driving through standing surface water at speed (70mph+) on All Season tyres. I guess the weight helps, but It is impressive.
I agree, my S8 is the best car for highway driving. No shakes, no vibrations.....it's like it is on rails.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice VW
Exactly what I just said, and no, it is not the phone that is the problem. There are just too many things about the connectivity that have to be done perfectly and in an exact order for the car to recognize Apple car play.
Agree with you. It would be nice if someone can post the exact order/steps to ensure the car recognizes Apple Car Play in a seamless way. It is so agravating when it doesn't connect at times, and connects at different times.

Quick Reply: Ex S-Class owners - how does the A8 compare ?