A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque450
It's availability for 12-15 years after final series production for parts from Kassel (VWG central warehouse). For example, I could still order air suspension parts for my 2006 A6 Allroad in 2020.

On the warranty question, I would also not have a D5 A8 without a warranty - in the UK I will stay with an Audi one to give me the highest chance of the part being covered under warranty!
Is there a law that states that I the UK? I honestly don't know. I have not seen such a law in the USA so all I read is that they are responsible to make sure you can buy all the parts to rebuild the car DURING THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PERIOD. Beyond that, there's no obligation. So if I sell enough of it, I will keep making it. If I don't, I will sell off whatever stock I have and it's your problem. IIRC, MB used to have a reputation for having parts doe old cars. It may take a few months to come from the fatherland and the box might be covered in dust but you will get it. Today, I don't believe that anymore. Transmission and engine and suspension, maybe. Electronic parts like screens or panels they don't sell much of, we'll.... Like I said, no mandate so, IMO, it depends on the popularity of the part.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim69
Is there a law that states that I the UK? I honestly don't know. I have not seen such a law in the USA so all I read is that they are responsible to make sure you can buy all the parts to rebuild the car DURING THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PERIOD. Beyond that, there's no obligation. So if I sell enough of it, I will keep making it. If I don't, I will sell off whatever stock I have and it's your problem. IIRC, MB used to have a reputation for having parts doe old cars. It may take a few months to come from the fatherland and the box might be covered in dust but you will get it. Today, I don't believe that anymore. Transmission and engine and suspension, maybe. Electronic parts like screens or panels they don't sell much of, we'll.... Like I said, no mandate so, IMO, it depends on the popularity of the part.
I

Its zero to do with laws or where I live. I worked for Audi for 12 years until 2020. It is Audi (VWG actually) policy to supply parts 12 years+ after the end of final series production. Just as with any model specific part, vehicle parc and supply&demand dictates availability, but parts remain orderable.

I wouldn't bother buying a car if you worry about availability! There has been a worldwide issue for Jaguar Land Rover over the last year, with in-warranty owners being put in loan cars for months on end. It can happen to anyone.
​​​​

Last edited by Torque450; 05-21-2024 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Every single OEM has parts to service their cars for well beyond the warranty period. Full stop. It's been like this forever. Heck, the vast majority of cars on the road are not under warranty anymore. Mercedes *had* a reputation of parts for decades after series production, sure, and well after the 12+ or 20+ year mark for VAG/Toyota and others but there is not a single OEM who only makes parts for their cars while they're under warranty.

Consumers would lose their mind.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 424 Likes on 302 Posts

In the US: 10 Year Car Parts Availability Law requires car parts available vehicles least 10 years production vehicle ended. This is to ensure that consumers have access to necessary parts for repairs and maintenance.

10 Year Car Parts Availability Law: Your Top 10 Legal Questions Answered

The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Torque450
I

Its zero to do with laws or where I live. I worked for Audi for 12 years until 2020. It is Audi (VWG actually) policy to supply parts 12 years+ after the end of final series production. Just as with any model specific part, vehicle parc and supply&demand dictates availability, but parts remain orderable.

I wouldn't bother buying a car if you worry about availability! There has been a worldwide issue for Jaguar Land Rover over the last year, with in-warranty owners being put in loan cars for months on end. It can happen to anyone.
​​​​
Maybe lead with that next time? Like I said, my experience with GM and Ford has been different. I have heard the word "Obsolete" too many times from them to not think that they keep enough to build the car from scratch. Like I said, I had been able to get engine and transmission parts usually. Things that are specific to the car, I have had to scrounge from the ebay or junkyard disassemblies when the car gets older especially when it is a 1 series car like the Merkurs or the Ford Excursion when they don't have common parts with another car.

I start to worry when the car gets older. Since I can't go without a car, I have to put up with it and prepare to trade it off when it isn't too old. IOW, I plan NOT to drive it into the ground anymore like I used to.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Every single OEM has parts to service their cars for well beyond the warranty period. Full stop. It's been like this forever. Heck, the vast majority of cars on the road are not under warranty anymore. Mercedes *had* a reputation of parts for decades after series production, sure, and well after the 12+ or 20+ year mark for VAG/Toyota and others but there is not a single OEM who only makes parts for their cars while they're under warranty.

Consumers would lose their mind.
Do you cite a specific legislation? I have tried to search for a federal law that says that but nobody has been able to point that out. I don't say that they ONLY make parts while the vehicle is under warranty. I am saying that from what I see they are OBLIGATED to make parts for vehicles under warranty. Past warranty, it seems to be on a "case by case" basis. Torque450 has said that as of the time he left Audi, it was policy to make it for 12 years at least. I honestly didn't know that Audi had that policy at that time. I wonder how many automakers also have that policy.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DallasDave
In the US: 10 Year Car Parts Availability Law requires car parts available vehicles least 10 years production vehicle ended. This is to ensure that consumers have access to necessary parts for repairs and maintenance.

Does that link have a legal statute they can reference? At least, a Federal USA law? A Portuguese wine tour company giving legal advice?

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/202...for-older-cars
Old 05-21-2024, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Do you cite a specific legislation? I have tried to search for a federal law that says that but nobody has been able to point that out. I don't say that they ONLY make parts while the vehicle is under warranty. I am saying that from what I see they are OBLIGATED to make parts for vehicles under warranty. Past warranty, it seems to be on a "case by case" basis. Torque450 has said that as of the time he left Audi, it was policy to make it for 12 years at least. I honestly didn't know that Audi had that policy at that time. I wonder how many automakers also have that policy.
This was already posted upthread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25909067

There is legislation, and then social responsibility. A car maker who makes parts for only the first 3 or 4 years is going to get crucified by their customers. It's bad business sense.

I'm not sure why you're choosing to die on this hill, frankly. Ford and Lincoln in particular keeps parts around for a very long time. All I have to do is think of the Crown Vic or the Town Car. These are two cars that they kept parts with for 20+ years.

In any event, let's perhaps get back on topic. The D5's parts will be provided by VAG for at least 12+ years so for the purposes of this thread, let's maybe get back on topic is my $0.02.
The following 3 users liked this post by angrypengu:
DallasDave (05-21-2024), KK22 (05-21-2024), pcc125 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
This was already posted upthread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25909067

There is legislation, and then social responsibility. A car maker who makes parts for only the first 3 or 4 years is going to get crucified by their customers. It's bad business sense.

I'm not sure why you're choosing to die on this hill, frankly. Ford and Lincoln in particular keeps parts around for a very long time. All I have to do is think of the Crown Vic or the Town Car. These are two cars that they kept parts with for 20+ years.

In any event, let's perhaps get back on topic. The D5's parts will be provided by VAG for at least 12+ years so for the purposes of this thread, let's maybe get back on topic is my $0.02.
I tried to follow the link and ended up at some wine tour site. I have tried to google it but nothing more than what some guy says. Have you ever found a legal statute? I haven't.

Between the two, I trust legislation more than a company or person to do the right thing.

I am asking the question because despite what I hear, what I see tends to be different. I had 2 89 Merkurs (Xr4ti and Scorpio) that beg to differ and also a Ford Excursion. As such, if I am wrong, why did I keep hearing the word "Obsolete" from the dealer? I owned my 91 F-body till 06 (I think() till it got totaled. For many years, when I looked for body parts and other electronics (Not the drivetrain or engine, those were plentiful), my dealer parts guy would see me and say "Oh, OH! Obsolete. What can I look up for you?". Quite often, he was right. Maybe your experience was different because it was a Town Car or Crown Vic whereas mine was an Excursion and a Couple of Merkurs. Maybe being a "one series" thing was different? I was with MB since the mid 90s and the last 10 years, I heard "Obsolete" more and more. Once that happened, I decided that I no longer had to stay with MB.

Having know that the D5 will be provided with parts for 12 years does make me feel much better that I can extend my ownership of this car without having to toss it as early as I thought. So yes, this line of questioning is productive, at least for me. I guess, if you don't ask, you don't know and can only guess.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 424 Likes on 302 Posts

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty