A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Naming Navigation Favorites

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by aeggroup
Wow, guys you are still using car navigation. I forgot the last time I used it in any car. Only Waze, sometimes Google Maps. Very easy to save anything you'd like and it shows all cops, cameras along the way.
wish Waze and Google maps worked with the HUD and the virtual cockpit, then it would be a no brainer for me. We basically have four nav systems, car, Waze, Google and Apple Maps. And thankfully Siri takes instructions well on which app you want to use. Can’t beat Waze for speed cameras. I usually have both car and Waze on for cross country driving simultaneously.
The following users liked this post:
S8RST (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I have not personally tried it, no. To be honest I don't use favorites in any car these days, other than the home favorite. I use the ability to send destinations from my phone directly to the car before even getting in, or use voice command to navigate to a place by name or a contact on my phone. I don't keep data stored in the car as I drive different cars at different times. My data is in the cloud and just synced/sent to the car and all my devices as necessary, so I can swap car and devices at will.
Voice anything is not good for me. I have never had voice work well and the Audi so far is the worst at recognizing what I am saying. Googlemaps is way better but frankly, I am not comfortable with the amount of having to repeat myself. Only voice recognition I ever had luck with is Wells Fargo where you use the voiceprint as your password. I do know how to use the contact to navigate. However, that is the wife's vehicle and I am in in whenever we drive together which is very often. I have shut off my bluetooth so that she becomes the one and only but that means the only way it works is if she is there. Also, I don't know how to get the googlemaps to go onto the dash so she can use her spotify more easily on the center one. Basically I would like navigation to be on the dash and HUD and leave the center screen for Spotify only. I did use Android Auto which is great. The drawback is that whether you are navigating or not, it kills the battery since the phone is constantly projecting mapping to the car.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KK22
wish Waze and Google maps worked with the HUD and the virtual cockpit, then it would be a no brainer for me. We basically have four nav systems, car, Waze, Google and Apple Maps. And thankfully Siri takes instructions well on which app you want to use. Can’t beat Waze for speed cameras. I usually have both car and Waze on for cross country driving simultaneously.
When you drive long distance, do you find it sucks the battery to do it wirelessly? I had that issue in another car. I also find that hooking it up via USB will MITIGATE the problem and the drain is slower because of the trickle charge to the phone from the cable. I haven't tested the center console charger yet for power but would be curious.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim69
When you drive long distance, do you find it sucks the battery to do it wirelessly? I had that issue in another car. I also find that hooking it up via USB will MITIGATE the problem and the drain is slower because of the trickle charge to the phone from the cable. I haven't tested the center console charger yet for power but would be curious.
No.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KK22
No.
I don't know what to say. I'm going to try it again and see what the phone battery utilization says.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Don't think you wanna post a picture with your home address on there. I would take that down ASAP!
The following users liked this post:
aeggroup (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Don't think you wanna post a picture with your home address on there. I would take that down ASAP!
I'm sure I would not either. Thanks for the concern. Brain fart.