A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY Times Article

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts
Default NY Times Article

Eyes on the road
Author Headshot
By Kashmir Hill

I’m a technology reporter who focuses on privacy.
You know you have a credit score. Did you know that you might also have a driving score?
Driving scores are based on how often you slam on the brakes, speed, look at your phone or drive late at night — information that, likely without your knowing, can be collected by your car or by apps on your smartphone. That data is sold to brokers, who work with auto insurers.
These scores can help determine how much drivers pay for insurance. That’s not necessarily a bad thing: Experts say that basing premiums on how we actually drive — rather than on our credit scores and whether we’re married or went to college — could be a fairer system, and ultimately improve road safety.
But this tracking will only lead to safer driving if people know that it is happening.

How it happens
The smartphone apps collecting driver data might not be obvious at first glance. One, Life360, is popular with parents who want to keep track of their families. MyRadar offers weather forecasts. GasBuddy can help you find cheap fuel on a road trip.
But all of these apps also have opt-in driving analysis features that offer insights into things like safety and fuel usage. Those insights are provided by Arity, a data broker founded by Allstate.
Arity uses the data to create driving scores for tens of millions of people, and then markets the scores to auto insurance companies.
“No one who realizes what they’re doing would consent,” said Kathleen Lomax, a New Jersey mother who recently canceled her subscription to Life360 when she found out this was happening.
Arity says that insurers ultimately need consent to link a person’s driving data to their auto insurance rate. But in some cases, the request for smartphone data may appear as boilerplate contract language — “third party data and reports” — that online shoppers regularly click past without reading.
Chi Chi Wu, a consumer rights lawyer, raised an important concern regarding data collected this way: How do insurers know when a person is driving a car, versus riding in it? (Arity said it “uses advanced technology” to determine this.)
Insurers are also getting driving data directly from people’s cars. I’ve previously written about how General Motors sold data on millions of drivers to LexisNexis, a practice it ceased after our story.

But any car with an internet connection, which most modern cars have, can send data back to the automaker.
Rob Leathern, a tech executive in Texas, was surprised last year when he got an email from Toyota saying he could get “big savings” from Progressive because he’d been identified as a safe driver, based on information collected from his 2023 Sequoia.
He didn’t realize his driving was being monitored and wanted to get to the bottom of it. It took a month of emails, phone calls and data privacy requests to find out that a data broker affiliated with Toyota called Connected Analytic Services had a Microsoft Excel file with second-by-second records listing every time he had driven faster than 85 m.p.h., slammed on his brakes or accelerated rapidly.

The possible upside
For a previous story on automakers sharing people’s data, a law professor told me that people who sign up to be monitored by their insurers, in what are commonly called usage-based insurance plans, drive better as a consequence. If drivers knew they would pay more for risky driving, we could get safer roads as a result.
Those roads have gotten more dangerous in the U.S., as a recent Times Magazine story detailed. There are more fatalities, and people are driving faster. At the same time, the police are giving out fewer tickets.
That decline in ticketing has been a problem for insurers, because traffic citations are a metric for how risky a driver someone is. It’s part of why insurers want access to real-world driving behavior, one industry expert told me.

And drivers — at least the good ones, which most of us think we are — might actually want that, too. Because the way auto insurance is priced right now can be quite unfair, said Michael DeLong of the Consumer Federation of America.

If you have a bad credit score, for example, you will pay more for auto insurance even if you have never been in an accident or received a ticket. For that reason, DeLong is in favor of insurers looking at driving behavior instead. But he has concerns: Consumers need to know it’s happening, he said, and we need to be wary of possible new forms of discrimination.

Driving late at night can hurt a person’s score because of the poorer visibility and greater percentage of tired and inebriated drivers on the road. But that could in turn penalize low-income people who work a night shift, such as janitors.

So how do you know if this is happening to you? Check the privacy settings on your car’s dashboard system and smartphone apps. If an app connects to your car, or gives you feedback about your driving, that’s a good place to start. But don’t worry about Google Maps or Waze. Google, which owns both apps, said it doesn’t provide driving data that’s linked to individuals to third parties.
The following users liked this post:
KK22 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

I would definitely worry about Google....
Old 06-09-2024, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

For those that do worry about this, there is a recall on the D5 to fix the issue where if one turns on privacy mode or something on the MMI that it actually does that. Without the recall, it doesn't actually respect the user's preference. The downside is, well, the MMI software that is flashed over has issues with the backup cam turning on, and various memory items (like seat settings?) being forgotten. Now, this was 3 years ago. I don't know if they fixed the buggy post update MMI. I still don't bother. My Android phone has enough dirt on me anyway.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

I usually turn every tracking thing off. Will have to check if I have the latest software so it’s not sneaking anything past me.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KK22
I usually turn every tracking thing off. Will have to check if I have the latest software so it’s not sneaking anything past me.
I know the Audi Motion app tracks drivers. It gives you a Road Score for every trip, and records your Rapid Acceleration, Minutes Speeding, Hard Brakes, Maximum Speed, Maximum RPM, etc.

I don't know if it shares this information with Audi, and in turn, with my insurance company.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I know the Audi Motion app tracks drivers. It gives you a Road Score for every trip, and records your Rapid Acceleration, Minutes Speeding, Hard Brakes, Maximum Speed, Maximum RPM, etc.

I don't know if it shares this information with Audi, and in turn, with my insurance company.
Thankfully, I don't use that App. But there has to be some privacy sharing acknowledgements before any of that information passes over.