A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating 2020 a8 60

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OVEREATING 2020 A8 L60H

I just checked with the dealer after they replaced the ECU and they say that after 20 minutes running the vehicle it still overheated. It seems that they've thrown all the parts at it, and I think they've done the proper clearing of the lines. What would y'all guess the next step would be? I'm sure they've been in touch with the Audi engineers. When it overheats the radiator is cool and the fans are going like crazy, so some valve is not allowing the coolant to flow to the radiator. I think the heater still gets flow though. To my memory there is some other valve in addition to the thermostat valve, that they have replaced.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
how was the problem solved? what did they find?
Old 06-09-2023, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 252 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Prolific2
I just checked with the dealer after they replaced the ECU and they say that after 20 minutes running the vehicle it still overheated. It seems that they've thrown all the parts at it, and I think they've done the proper clearing of the lines. What would y'all guess the next step would be? I'm sure they've been in touch with the Audi engineers. When it overheats the radiator is cool and the fans are going like crazy, so some valve is not allowing the coolant to flow to the radiator. I think the heater still gets flow though. To my memory there is some other valve in addition to the thermostat valve, that they have replaced.
I would demand a buyback from Audi. Trade Assist no longer cuts it. Worth a try in my opinion, and you can mention lemon law....
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (06-11-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You've been more than patient - that's enough. I know they are trying but it's time to move on from that car IMHO.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

This just seems like one of those simple issues that once they figure it out, it'll be like, "Doh!"...but until then it's going to be frustrating. On my V8 Quattro, a lot of owners gave up on the car when it would stall unexpectedly, would intermittently re-start and the dealers would spend months doing everything they could trying to isolate the problem, unsuccessfully. Turned out to be a crank position sensor...$100 part. Bummer for OP though.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 181 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Similar problem

So I got a check coolant light yesterday, and today the car is at the dealer. I had a coolant seal replaced a few months ago and the engine has been perfect since then.

However, with this warning there is no coolant loss, level just above max when hot, there is no overheating of the coolant nor of the engine oil. Really no other symptoms except warning message to check coolant level, which is OK.

I was hoping it was a faulty sensor, but they’ve ruled it out. Just some gremlin that does not seem detrimental to the car, but I don’t feel safe running it hard in the summer without getting it resolved. Thank goodness for factory warranty and the CPO thereafter. Will keep this post updated with whatever they find tomorrow. So far pressure test and sensor test has yielded no leaks and no bad sensors.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by KK22
So I got a check coolant light yesterday, and today the car is at the dealer. I had a coolant seal replaced a few months ago and the engine has been perfect since then.

However, with this warning there is no coolant loss, level just above max when hot, there is no overheating of the coolant nor of the engine oil. Really no other symptoms except warning message to check coolant level, which is OK.

I was hoping it was a faulty sensor, but they’ve ruled it out. Just some gremlin that does not seem detrimental to the car, but I don’t feel safe running it hard in the summer without getting it resolved. Thank goodness for factory warranty and the CPO thereafter. Will keep this post updated with whatever they find tomorrow. So far pressure test and sensor test has yielded no leaks and no bad sensors.
Check out this recent TSB. Sounds similar to your issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Engine Cooling:Electrical TSB.pdf (222.3 KB, 113 views)
The following users liked this post:
KK22 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Check out this recent TSB. Sounds similar to your issue.
That sounds EXACTLY like it. Will send to service coordinator right away. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2023, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by KK22
That sounds EXACTLY like it. Will send to service coordinator right away. Thank you!
👍
Old 06-21-2023, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

SA said it’s not the thermostat sensor since it’s opening and closing fine. They saw some corrosion on the overflow tank and replaced tank, sensor and wires. Didn’t solve it.

Now Audi “hotline” is recommending changing the thermostat ECM, similar to OPs suggestion above I believe, which is backordered for at least a week ☹️. So I’m rocking an A5 prestige in the meantime.

Quick Reply: Overheating 2020 a8 60