A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painfully Sad & Frightening Saga of 2020 A8L 60

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 174 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Painfully Sad & Frightening Saga of 2020 A8L 60

Stumbled across this painfully sad and frightening saga from the owner of a 2020 A8L 60 (V8) on LinkedIn. It keeps going and going.......I couldn't stop reading it........

As the original owner of another 2020 A8L 60, with about 22,000 miles on it and absolutely no problems, I am feeling fortunate but with a cold sweat breaking out while contemplating a possible future with just one small piece of this tale happening to me.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/buckl...cles_directory

Thoughts?

If the link takes you to the right page but asks you to have a LinkedIn account or sign-in to view the post, let me know and I will see if AudiWorld allows me to paste in the whole story.
The following users liked this post:
TXnative (04-30-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

That was truly painful to read on many levels. Hopefully that fellow was just very unlucky, and just isolated to that one D5...Hopefully.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 174 Likes on 132 Posts

Corporate Audi does not look good in this story but I wonder if dealership mechanic incompetence could play a significant role here. While the service manager appears apologetic and very willing to try to effect repairs, perhaps the mechanic(s) doing the work did not get to the root cause (electrical, I think) of a lot of the misery. Should the owner have tried a different dealership at some point?
The following 2 users liked this post by MorganMay:
angrypengu (03-27-2024), TXnative (04-30-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

Painful story indeed, and yes Audi's response and handling of the customer does not leave a good impression. Like MorganMay stated, I believe dealership mechanic incompetence could have played a role. I take my car 120 miles away to another Audi dealership as I have zero confidence in the service dept of my local dealer which is 5 miles away. All in all, pretty sad saga, and if I were the owner, I would have pursued the lemon law to the end and lawyered up. Most states will award attorney fees in lemon law cases to the claimant. If an attorney had been involved in this saga at an earlier stage, Audi's response would have been different.

Last edited by pcc125; 03-27-2024 at 09:06 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pcc125:
A8el (04-02-2024), angrypengu (03-27-2024), TXnative (04-30-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by pcc125
Painful story indeed, and yes Audi's response and handling of the customer does not leave a good impression. Like MorganMay stated, I believe dealership mechanic incompetence could have played a role. I take my car 120 miles away to another Audi dealership as I have zero confidence in the service dept of my local dealer which is 5 miles away. All in all, pretty sad saga, and if I were the owner, I would have pursued the lemon law to the end and lawyered up. Most states will award attorney fees in lemon law cases to the claimant. If an attorney had been involved in this saga at an earlier stage, Audi's response would have been different.
Same. I drive by 8 different dealers and take mine about 2 hours away to have 1 specific mechanic work on my car.
pcc125 (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Same. I drive by 8 different dealers and take mine about 2 hours away to have 1 specific mechanic work on my car.
I like that mentality - I used to take my original Impreza Turbo a similar distance, and 3 hours for my dentist...!
angrypengu (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Problem I have when people give reviews is that they say "I had X, Y and Z happen at Dealership Alpha" and that is that. Most people throw the keys there and pay when it is done. I prefer to find the tech I want to use first, get to know him and then let him do a smaller job before moving to a bigger one when it comes. If possible, I want to watch them. May not be standing next to them but watching them work, even from outside the bay, I can gather whether he is sloppy and rushes or is thorough. Once you gain confidence in him, by all means, leave the car with him but I don't recommend trusting a dealer. You trust the mechanic after he earns your trust. You insist that he works on it or reschedule. Most people get the "luck of the draw" tech and hope for the best.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

That saga certainly seemed like a mechanic/shop that truly doesn't understand the systems. Reminds me of my 1990 V8 quattro. So many of those cars were literally abandoned by owners because they would intermittently fail on them while driving, and the early versions of the diagnostic systems were not sophisticated enough to identify the cause. Dealers would charge $5k to $8k in diagnostics and swapping parts with no solution. Turns out it was the crank position sensor...a $75 part...that was failing. Took years for the simple diagnostic to be identified (tach sweep just before failure) and forever more it was a simple fix, but in the meantime Audi lost untold numbers of customers who were fed up with not only the failure of the car but the incompetence of the dealer mechanics and the catastrophic depreciation of the car's value (80%+ in 3 years).
Old 03-28-2024, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

I had issues with my cooling system, my dealership ended up basically changing everything and I have essentially a new cooling system in the car. Always got a loaner, always was advised of progress as it happened.

Now even on hard driving temps are low and engine drinks a quart every 5k miles. And I've run it HARD, on hot days, used launch control etc. after proper warm ups of course.

The dealership experience makes a world of a difference. We have to remember, this is a WIDELY used powertrain. And the unfortunate experience of this gentleman is anecdotal not typical.

A8L, S8, SQ7/8, RS7/6/Q8, Porsche Panny GTS, Turbo, S, E Hybrid, Cayenne GTS, S, GT, Turbo. Bentley Bentayga, Continental GTl, Flying Spur, Lambo URUS.
angrypengu (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MorganMay
Corporate Audi does not look good in this story but I wonder if dealership mechanic incompetence could play a significant role here. While the service manager appears apologetic and very willing to try to effect repairs, perhaps the mechanic(s) doing the work did not get to the root cause (electrical, I think) of a lot of the misery. Should the owner have tried a different dealership at some point?
This is a worldwide problem. Consider yourself lucky to have the vehicle you own now. I have a 2022 S8 and it its perfect. No problems at all,. I can't blame Covid. It has 35000 miles on it and I have had no problems at all. No rattles, squeaks , or disturbances at all and I drive hundreds of miles every day

Last edited by Nice VW; 03-29-2024 at 02:28 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Nice VW:
A8el (04-02-2024), Pathfinder11 (04-14-2024), Spock1234 (04-13-2024), TXnative (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Painfully Sad & Frightening Saga of 2020 A8L 60