A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint wrap

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

What are you gals/guys paying for the front end wraps and full car wraps?
Old 06-27-2024, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pcc125
What are you gals/guys paying for the front end wraps and full car wraps?
$2,000 even for me
The following users liked this post:
pcc125 (06-27-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enGage
I'm considering a front wrap with Xpel PPF - bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors. $2k.

Anyone with experience with this product, thoughts? Keep in mind that I travel across country (2,200 miles eac way) and pick up lots of rock chips (gone through 4 windshields over the last several years.
I too do this on every vehicle and I would recommend adding door cups (behind door handle area), the B/C pillars, and the interior illuminated kick plates. As someone also mentioned, be sure they have some overrun to wrap the panels. If they don't have a big enough sheet, they will have to stretch the ppf to fit the upper hood corners that go toward the A pillars, or cut two smaller pieces. One piece looks cleaner.

I also agree with getting it ceramic coated and have the wheels included.
​​​​​
Old 07-03-2024, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by enGage
I'm considering a front wrap with Xpel PPF - bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors. $2k.

Anyone with experience with this product, thoughts? Keep in mind that I travel across country (2,200 miles eac way) and pick up lots of rock chips (gone through 4 windshields over the last several years.
You might consider windshield protection film. It’s not always perfect but it does protect from most rock chips. I’ve used Clearplex on several cars and currently have it on my GT4. There’s also one called Exoshield and I believe there are a couple other. Xpel or similar PPF does not go on windshields.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Highly recommended if you don't like rock chips. I do front end PPF on all my cars, except on my R8 I did 100% coverage. I also get my cars ceramic coated after the PPF which makes it easier to clean. But don't do ceramic coat unless you wash the car yourself. No automatic washes with ceramic coatings.
Why no car wash with ceramic coating? Not heard that before.
Old 07-03-2024, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NotAGarageQueen
Why no car wash with ceramic coating? Not heard that before.
Automatic car washes are too aggressive, and will mar a ceramic coating with swirl marks the same way a clear coat on untreated paint. The difference is that with ceramic coat you can't just buff out the swirl marks. You are basically stuck with swirls in a ceramic coat unless you wet sand the car to remove the coat and then reapply it. Think of a ceramic coat like a sacrificial layer to protect the original clear coat. They are typically harder than clear coats, but that does not mean they are indestructible. The primary protection offered by ceramic coat is against chemicals, not physical damage. Automatic washes cause physical damage to paint and ceramic coats.

Hand washing is the only way to clean a ceramic coat for long-term success. If you're going to run a car through the automatic wash then it would be better to use the traditional polish and wax method of paint care.
Old 07-11-2024, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Car now has a front-end wrap. Seems to be a nice job (been cloudy and rainy) - edges wrapped around all panels and they did all the smaller blacked out trim pieces. Basically, they wrapped everything on front that was glossy. I was impressed and when I commented to the owner about wrapping the trim he said: "when we say full front end we mean full front end". Also, the local guy (I had my car wrapped at a place 45 miles from here in Muskegon - Lakeshore Window Tinting) wanted a $600 surcharge to special order the larger 70 something inch sheet required for the A8's hood. the Muskegon guy told me he does lots of trucks, A8's, R8's and other cars that require that sheet size so he stocks it in 50' rolls, ie, no surcharge.

He also re-iterated what angrypengu said about the window tinting - he said he could redo mine, but it would just scratch again. He drives a Q8 and says his has scratched as well. He claims his top-line product will scratch less, but will still scratch some. Anyway - nice folks. Young, mid 30s I'd guess. The wife runs the office and was incredibly responsive during the sales/questions phase and during the two days they had the car. Nice to see heads-up kids like these.