A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QA: Brake pads ...Advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 11:50 PM
Audi A8L D5

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default QA: Brake pads ...Advise needed

Dear members...! hope all is well. My car is a 55 tfsi 2021 model bought brand new and so far it has been a great ride. Done 30000 KMS so far and I want to know how is brake pads for you guys holding up? mine still has some meat left. How long these pads go? and i find the BOSH and FEBI ones are more affordable over online and i remember the last time when i checked the dealership they gave me an exorbitant price. My question is should i buy these pads which is 1/5th of the cost quoted in the dealership and change it in the dealership?.. is it advisable?

On a positive note, changed all 4 sets of tyres yesterday as the OEM Goodyears just gave up with dry rot. I replaced with NEXEN Nfera, the ride has become more quieter and i feel more confident over the corners, shall keep you guys posted regarding the performance in the future after more of kms on board.

you all have a great day.
The following users liked this post:
Pathfinder11 (03-19-2024)
Old 07-13-2023, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

Changing your brake pads outside of the dealership should be ok as long as you pay attention to the sensors and the job is done by a competent independent tech. Just be sure to keep your receipts for any warranty issues. I wish dealers did not charge ridiculous amounts for changing brake pads.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

I never cheap out on brake pads, and only stick to OEM. I drive like a moron most days and I still have plenty of pad material left (OEM).
leomaestro (07-18-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I never cheap out on brake pads, and only stick to OEM. I drive like a moron most days and I still have plenty of pad material left (OEM).
Not sure it is "cheap out" to not go OEM on brake pads. All brake pads, like tires, have different characteristics. OEM chose a set of factors to meet the demands of most drivers (quiet, sufficient amount of stopping power, lifespan, etc.), but you can go to outside suppliers who will focus on a different set of parameters that are more suited to the driver's focus. I wouldn't disregard the options out there just because they are not OEM.
aeggroup (07-14-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by A8bil
Not sure it is "cheap out" to not go OEM on brake pads. All brake pads, like tires, have different characteristics. OEM chose a set of factors to meet the demands of most drivers (quiet, sufficient amount of stopping power, lifespan, etc.), but you can go to outside suppliers who will focus on a different set of parameters that are more suited to the driver's focus. I wouldn't disregard the options out there just because they are not OEM.
You do you. You're right to a certain extent, but at the end of the day, there is no such thing as a free lunch. I've been working on German cars a long time and have heard even how Mahle vs OEM is the same thing, which, after I take an oil or air filter apart, well, they're not. OEM often has more folds, as an example.
Old 07-14-2023, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I used Powestop Ceramic Pads on my previous cars ( BMW and Mercedes) and have not noticed any difference between OEM and Powerstop except Zero dust. Actually I prefer Powerstop pads, but unfortunately they do not produce them for A8.
I would not hesitate to use aftermarket pads. Rotors - it's another story. I'd use only OEM.
Old 03-19-2024, 01:53 AM
Audi A8L D5

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you bothers for all the reply. I bought the OEM supplier brand Textar from UK as i was travelling still the OE pads are ok to go as per the service folks so kept the Textar for replacement in the future.