A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not think they would change things so much on the same engine in 2 years. The 2021 looks easy to get off. The lines in my picture (2023) are pretty rigid and don't have much give.
Old 11-11-2023, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffNIL
I would not think they would change things so much on the same engine in 2 years. The 2021 looks easy to get off. The lines in my picture (2023) are pretty rigid and don't have much give.
The best I can do to help you
Go here : https://cardiagn.com/audi-a8-d5-4n-2...ring-diagrams/
Click on Maintenance and go to about page 50, where replace oil procedure explained. I think you will find the answer there. There should be a simple procedure how to do it.

Good luck.

Last edited by aeggroup; 11-11-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for sending. It gives me information why the filter housing won't get oil all over the engine.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi JeffNIL,
Did you DIY on the oil change? Are there any issues getting around the two hard-piped vacuum lines? Did you drain or extract out the oil? I am a first-time Audi owner with a 2022 S8 I have had for a month. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
RST
Old 01-29-2024, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

S8RST,

Congrats on the 2022 S8 and welcome to the forum.

My car at this point only has 2000 miles on it. I did want to change the oil before I leave for Florida, but unfortunately time did not allow. So I am no help regarding the hard piped lines, but they look to me as if they will need to be removed. I am also wondering if there is some O-ring they needs to be replaced when the lines are removed. When I do change the oil, I will definitely drain it. I did jack the car up and look at the pan that needs to be removed, and it looks like there are only Torx fasteners holding it on. Somewhere I read about some special fastener that needed a special tool to remove it, but I did not see it.

I will return from Florida about mid March, and the car will have over 5000 miles on it by then, and will definitely change it then. Hopefully I'm not plagued by the dreaded BSG failure....

It would be really nice if there was an Audi tech on this forum that could answer this stuff. One would thing Audi of America would have someone monitoring the forum and answering questions like these..

As indicated in the past, I purchased 3 Ford products in the past, the last 2 were mainly because I met a mechanic that works at the local Ford dealer. The guy is priceless. Answers all my questions about problems with the car. He's got a lift in his garage at home and that is where I will probably change the oil.
The following users liked this post:
S8RST (02-05-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got back from Florida. Car now has 6000 miles on it. Went to the dealer to buy an oil filter. What a pain in the ***. Go to the parts guy and tell him I want the o rings for those rigid lines. Couldn't find them in his breakdown. I said "maybe we should ask a mechanic", The thing I hated most is I can't talk to the mechanic - parts guy takes my phone with the picture and goes and asks the mechanic - says the "master technician" tells him the lines don't need to come off. I have a hard time believing that,,,, But going to change the oil soon and my buddy's lift frees up. Will update when I change the oil.

I am not very happy with the Audi dealers around here. Certainly not the customer service I gave my customers when had my business, and I wasn't selling $100k items.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Post VW 511 rated Mobil One ESP X3 0W-40

Welcome home, Jeff,
You will need the VW 511 oil; Mobil 1 has a newer Euro version, ESP X3 0W-40, which is VW 511-rated. I bought it on Amazon. I found a document on the latest oil (attached). 6 QTs are available on Amazon for $57.75.

Richard

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...1-esp-x3-0w-40

Amazon Amazon
Attached Files
Old 03-16-2024, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Richard,

Thanks for that information... I guess I'm an idiot again... Ordered 4 jugs of the Mobil 1 0W40 ESP oil which I read somewhere on the forum that you could use. However that oil only meets the 502.00 not the 511.00 spec like the ESP-X3 oil. Now I have to return that and get the correct oil...

I did email the service department where I bought the car, and they also confirmed you can remove the filter housing without removing the lines. I still don't see how. Have you changed your oil filter yet? Did you have to remove those lines?
Old 03-16-2024, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Jeff,
I am sorry. I should have posted sooner; I would have saved you a return. By the way, I bought the older Mobil ESP Euro as you did and had to return it. Lucky for me, I got it at Costco.com and returned it to the store. Audi changed the lines on the S8 2023 model, so I do not have any lines in the way of the oil filter. I have not changed my oil yet. My first maintenance task will be to do the 2-year brake fluid flush. I have read other break flush posts on the AudiWorld forums and watched a lot of YouTube videos. The Audi D5 maintenance manual has the bleed order opposite to what most posts and videos show. I know one should go by the distance from the ABS module, but looking at the brake workshop manual, I see it is next to the brake fluid reservoir (master cylinder). Audi ordered the D5 - driver front, passenger front, driver rear, and passenger rear.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Going to change the oil today. I can't for the life of me see how I can get the filter out..

So I pulled one of the lines out to see how it came out. Pretty easy and it has an O-ring on it. Interesting the plastic pieces in the hole. Wonder what the line does....

If you blow this up and look in the hole the line came out of looks like there is some type of plastic piece in there

It is a T30 and the line comes right out. Has an O-ring for a seal. I don't see how you can the oil filter out with the lines in place.

Borrowing a friend's lift. I will post some more pictures when I get it completed.
The following users liked this post:
S8RST (03-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Quick oil change question