A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling Sound from the center air vent

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rattling Sound from the center air vent

Hi, Happy Holidays!

I noticed there are rattling sounds coming from "behind" the center air vent area when the car is going through bumps. It wasn't there before. I checked for lose objects and found none. I'm pretty sure the sound comes from behind the air vent or a bit below. Anyone has this issue?
Old 12-25-2023, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

Yes, I have the same issue. There is also a rattle that comes form the headliner, and according to my dealer the headliner rattle is really coming from the pano roof glass.
My dealer said these will be addressed during my next service as they need more time with the car. There is a whole tread on rattle issues in this forum. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcc125
Yes, I have the same issue. There is also a rattle that comes form the headliner, and according to my dealer the headliner rattle is really coming from the pano roof glass.
My dealer said these will be addressed during my next service as they need more time with the car. There is a whole tread on rattle issues in this forum. Good luck.
At least I'm not crazy.
When I make turns, say, speed ramp coming down from a high way, sometimes there will be the smell of washer fluid comes out from the air vent. Dealer said they don't know what the issue is. I guess I can ask them to check again this time with the rattling issue. I still have 2 year warranty left. Do you think it is worth to keep the car after the warranty expires?
Old 12-26-2023, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, it is worth keeping the car after the warranty expires. They are great cars and the rattles can be fixed. I don't know what the deal is with your washer fluid smell. The rattles are very minor issues and they only happen on bumpy roads; turn up the volume of the amazing sound system in these cars and you will not hear anything but good sound lol...
Old 12-26-2023, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 932 Likes on 649 Posts

My guess re washer smell is that the car in question is leaking windshield washer fluid through the hole for the front lidar scanner. this is a known issue and is addressed in a TSB (it's a quick fix)
The following users liked this post:
parodielin (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
My guess re washer smell is that the car in question is leaking windshield washer fluid through the hole for the front lidar scanner. this is a known issue and is addressed in a TSB (it's a quick fix)
I have an appointment next Tuesday. I'll go give this to the dealer. They "couldn't" find any problem. I have the "Oil reaching max" yellow warning light on. Every time I opened the engine oil cover and it will go back to normal until next time I use the gasoline engine. (I have a plug-in hybrid. I use electric driving most of the time). Today I remove the engine cover, use the oil stick to check the engine oil, it is at 75% (I bought the adjustable oil stick and adjusted it based on the forum post here). So this means the electric oil sensor is not correct? I can re-check if I set the oil stick correctly. But basically I never changed the stick in two years.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 932 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by parodielin
I have an appointment next Tuesday. I'll go give this to the dealer. They "couldn't" find any problem. I have the "Oil reaching max" yellow warning light on. Every time I opened the engine oil cover and it will go back to normal until next time I use the gasoline engine. (I have a plug-in hybrid. I use electric driving most of the time). Today I remove the engine cover, use the oil stick to check the engine oil, it is at 75% (I bought the adjustable oil stick and adjusted it based on the forum post here). So this means the electric oil sensor is not correct? I can re-check if I set the oil stick correctly. But basically I never changed the stick in two years.
Sounds like it.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

My car has a squeaking noise coming from the passenger door area. It sounds like styrofoam creaking, or balloons rubbing together. Super annoying.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick updates:
1. Rattling issue the dealer referred to a TSB where six bolts were replaced. I haven't seriously tested the car yet.
2. The washer fluid issue - dealer thinks this is when the automatic washer for lidar sensor triggered and I'd smell the washer fluid in the cabinet. That could be true. I did not know there is a washer for the front lidar sensor. I'll take another look today.
3. The "max oil" issue. They told me they have to do a complete oil change to address that. I guess they don't normally extract oil out. I refused because I just changed oil myself and I can extract oil out. I asked if the sensor is wrong because my oil stick says 75%. They said there is no error code on the oil sensor.

When my car is in service, they loaned me a Q5. That's a pretty good car to drive. Right before new year - December 30th - I picked up a new BMW iX for my wife. That was an impulse buy because the lease deal was unreal. I barely read any reviews or research. My wife only cares about the cost, she did not want to test drive the BMW before the delivery, so it was an easy thing to do. I've been driving her new BMW last week. Given I have zero expectation, the iX turned out to be a great surprises. It is not as comfortable as A8, the door closing sound is not as solid as A8, not as luxurious cabinet, but all the new software and electric power makes a difference. I guess I would need to go to S8 for something similar.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone have a copy of the TSB for the rattle issue? Which 6 bolts were replaced and where are they located?

Quick Reply: Rattling Sound from the center air vent