A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I'm using the long bolt version and have no experience with the other option. For those of you that are "anti spacers", this may help. During a visit to my local NTB this afternoon (a front end alignment), I got to chatting with the branch manager. I asked him directly, "wheel spacers...pro or con?" He told me that he has been using them for years on almost all of his vehicles. He has never had a problem and believes that as long as it's a modestly sized spacer, there will never be an issue. I went on to tell him that I am using 15mm/20mm frt/rear and asked if that is "modest". He smiled and said that they are.

Just thought I would share.
Thanks. I've always believed that modest spacers will only serve to wear out wheel bearings faster, but as I have had multiple audis that I have run over 200k miles with only 1 wheel bearing failure (a 1987 5000 TQ), I think the risk and associated cost must be very small. I'm still curious about using a staggered set up for the spacers as that must change handling to a degree.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 424 Likes on 302 Posts

You may be right on the handling part, but I certainly do not notice a difference but then again I just got an alignment done so the car seems better than ever now, lol. I would say that the 5mm (0.197") difference between front and rear cannot be an issue. Think about how many vehicles have different tires (ie., not a matching set of four) OR have new tires on the front & older ones on the rear. Wouldn't the difference in diameter have a bigger impact on handled and the four wheel drive systems?

This is probably one of those topics where you just have to go with your gut and move on. Plus I love the more aggressive look and am too cheap to buy a different set of wheels, so I'm sticking with the spacers...for now. Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by DallasDave:
A8bil (07-10-2024), aeggroup (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pcc125
What kind of bad experience did you have with the long bolt? Did the bolt break?
I noticed a small vibration and I supposed it was the wheels and I ask for a wheel balance, unfortunately when the mechanic uninstall the wheel from the wheel hub, all the long bolt were very damaged and bended.
Nothing broke and probably nothing really risky, but I decided to install only double bolt spacers.
Unfortunately minimum thickness is 20mm+.
Old 07-11-2024, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by sfelisio
I noticed a small vibration and I supposed it was the wheels and I ask for a wheel balance, unfortunately when the mechanic uninstall the wheel from the wheel hub, all the long bolt were very damaged and bended.
Nothing broke and probably nothing really risky, but I decided to install only double bolt spacers.
Unfortunately minimum thickness is 20mm+.
So, do you believe that going with the double bolt spacers is improving the ride of the car, or is it just for cosmetics and hey make the car look sportier?