A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting From The Audi App

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starting From The Audi App

Just curious if I have a setting selected that I don't know about. When starting my car from the app (which is frustrating enough because EVERY time I open the app it needs to update which takes 30 seconds or so). Anyway, when I start the car from the app, and then open the door to get in the car, the engine shuts off. Why is that? Is there a way for the car to stay running once the door is opened, or will it always shut the engine down, only to have to restart in seconds later? It makes no sense. In previous vehicles the start button needed to be pressed once getting in the car (after a remote start) but the engine in other vehicles has always stayed running in that instance.
Old 07-09-2024, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by LionsFan
Just curious if I have a setting selected that I don't know about. When starting my car from the app (which is frustrating enough because EVERY time I open the app it needs to update which takes 30 seconds or so). Anyway, when I start the car from the app, and then open the door to get in the car, the engine shuts off. Why is that? Is there a way for the car to stay running once the door is opened, or will it always shut the engine down, only to have to restart in seconds later? It makes no sense. In previous vehicles the start button needed to be pressed once getting in the car (after a remote start) but the engine in other vehicles has always stayed running in that instance.
This is a common design feature in Subaru's, as well. This is a anti-theft feature. It's to prevent someone else from driving off with your car after you've started it. It is checking for the immobilizer thing in your remote/key.

Is it possible to un-key this? I don't know. I do know there is a feature that I did turn off in OBD 11 which is I can lock the car while the engine is on while I'm outside and the car doesn't turn off automatically provided SS is disabled.
Old 07-09-2024, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 424 Likes on 302 Posts

It was the same way in my Lexus sedan.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-09-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angrypengu
This is a anti-theft feature. It's to prevent someone else from driving off with your car after you've started it. It is checking for the immobilizer thing in your remote/key.
Thanks for this. I appreciate the feedback. Not sure how someone could drive off in it without the key though, the doors are locked until the car is approached with the key, right?
Old 07-11-2024, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by LionsFan
Thanks for this. I appreciate the feedback. Not sure how someone could drive off in it without the key though, the doors are locked until the car is approached with the key, right?
Yes, but the issue is this. One the car is started, you can drive the car without the key until you turn it off. Automakers cannot just 'turn off' the engine when it doesn't sense the key because very bad things could happen. On my A8, if I wear dress pants, every so often it'll complain to me that it can't find the key...so bad things could happen if the engine turns off once it doesn't sense the key.

Also, people can shatter glass, open the door, and drive off with it.