A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof/Water Drain pipe locations

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof/Water Drain pipe locations

Hello everyone,

My 2018 A8 55TFSI has a panoramic sunroof and it’s been raining pretty heavily where I live for the past two days. I’ve noticed recently that whenever I get the car washed and turn the car water would drip down both the outside of the drivers and passenger side window, not a lot. Today whilst driving I could hear water travelling from left to right (think gurgling) as if water has accumulated somewhere in the roof/doors. I have tried to google and search for sunroof drain locations and even tried to check myself but could only find two holes on the bottom of the door where the window closes and nothing else. Everything else points to videos for older generations but nothing for the D5. Has anyone got any diagrams or know how to get the pipes/drains unclogged? I have purchased some weed cutter cable which I could push though the drains but I need to find them first! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 02-22-2024, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Look at attached document. Go to page 180, which describing how to clean water drain hoses. I think that's what you need.
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by aeggroup:
estremoveloce (04-12-2024), MorganMay (02-23-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aeggroup
Look at attached document. Go to page 180, which describing how to clean water drain hoses. I think that's what you need.
thanks for that, turned out to be water drains clogged on the bottom of the windscreen next to the wipers. Inserted weed cutting wire through the hole and they cleared the blockage of dead leaves/dirt. No slushing sound anymore! Wohoo! Also noticed there was a mould/dirt smell coming in through the ac vents when the air circulation is set to allow air to flow in from the outside. Since I was trying to locate and look for potential drain pipes, I opened a small plastic cover on the left hand (when facing the bonnet head on) it is held by two retainer clips and pushed back and set aside. Looked inside to find heaps of leaves and rotting dirt (presumably old leaves) which have been sat there for years! Cleaned out as much with a pair of cooking tongs and wiped away the rest of the dirt/sludge with a microfibre cloth. Here’s pictures of what came out! Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2024, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brogrammer
thanks for that, turned out to be water drains clogged on the bottom of the windscreen next to the wipers. Inserted weed cutting wire through the hole and they cleared the blockage of dead leaves/dirt. No slushing sound anymore! Wohoo! Also noticed there was a mould/dirt smell coming in through the ac vents when the air circulation is set to allow air to flow in from the outside. Since I was trying to locate and look for potential drain pipes, I opened a small plastic cover on the left hand (when facing the bonnet head on) it is held by two retainer clips and pushed back and set aside. Looked inside to find heaps of leaves and rotting dirt (presumably old leaves) which have been sat there for years! Cleaned out as much with a pair of cooking tongs and wiped away the rest of the dirt/sludge with a microfibre cloth. Here’s pictures of what came out! Thanks again!
forgot to mention the leaves and dirt were gathered next to an air inlet valve presumably for the air conditioner to allow fresh air into the vehicle.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Yeah...I posted on this awhile back as I was having the same issue. There is a white strainer on either side of the cowl that drains into the area behind the wheel well liner. The cowl was filled with rotting leaves as well that were blocking those drains. There was also a lot of detritus behind the wheel liner...you might want to access that area and clean it out too.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

This is the drain strainer on the drivers side of the vehicle. Keep that area clean to prevent blockage in the cowl. The other side of that strainer is the typical cross-shaped rubber end to keep bugs from coming up the opposite direction.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A8bil
This is the drain strainer on the drivers side of the vehicle. Keep that area clean to prevent blockage in the cowl. The other side of that strainer is the typical cross-shaped rubber end to keep bugs from coming up the opposite direction.

Thats exactly where I got the leaves out from! There’s a plastic cover of top with two clips that comes off and voila!
Old 02-24-2024, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Good info. Thanks guys.