A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUV temptation

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

All good comments. Appreciate the thoughts. Mike911A8, always appreciate your input. I'm not used to long term holds but I suppose it's a testament to the D4. Just drove it to VT this evening and it was smooth as silk. Maybe I should keep it and spend some money on the 996?
Old 03-21-2024, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I have never liked SUVs as a category. I prefer cars because they are low to the ground, drive better, handle better, etc... I like to drive fast and I feel more in control of a car than an SUV.

If I had a need for extra cargo capacity then my focus would be on wagons like the RS6 Avant. To me, that's better than an SUV because it's still low to the ground and drives more like a car.

My lease on my 2023 S8 runs out in 2026, and my plan is to consider the upcoming BMW M5 Touring or an RS6 (if it's still available).
I don't know about a wagon towing. Do you see it performing on the level of an Expedition? While I would prefer it for my dogs and some bags, I don't know how comfortable I feel with it hauling my UTV or 2 Jetski trailer out of the water. Definitely not the travel trailer. Kinda why we have 2 cars and a truck and a trike for the street.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

I recently purchased a crossover vehicle, a brand new 2023 Suzuki Vitara after owning only sedans for about 20 years, all Audis (B4 80, B5 A4, C5 A6, C6 A6, C7 A7). The first week was awful because of differences in almost every aspect but then I started loving it because there are so many upsides compared to downsides! Once you get used to it, you won't want to go back to a sedan and this explains why people prefer crossovers and SUVs and why they sell so well.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1
All good comments. Appreciate the thoughts. Mike911A8, always appreciate your input. I'm not used to long term holds but I suppose it's a testament to the D4. Just drove it to VT this evening and it was smooth as silk. Maybe I should keep it and spend some money on the 996?
Yes, focus on driving the 996 a little more often and see if that takes the edge off your compulsion to buy a large vehicle. The 996/997 series Porsches are a good place to be; they have a modern HVAC system and very good driving dynamics. They are fun! And best of all, you already own one, so you’re not out anything if things don’t work out.

IMO, it doesn’t matter how good your primary vehicle is, you should switch into something else on a regular basis. I sort of went through the same thing you experienced during the winter time when it was too cold to drive my 911’s, and, as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, mounting all season tires on my 997 so I could switch vehicles during the winter completely solved my compulsion to want another vehicle. In fact, for much of this past winter I had an extra SUV; when I bought the new Cayenne S, I kept the old 2014 Cayenne S as sort of a beater to drive during the winter. It was a great vehicle, NA V8, sport exhaust, no stop/start to deal with, more robust than the new Cayenne, but I found that I didn’t drive it as much as I had expected to because I had the 997 available in tandem with my D4, so I passed the old Cayenne on to a relative.

A couple of points about your D4: I test drove an early D4 SWB version similar to yours and I thought it was very well balanced and looked great; keep in mind that your six cylinder engine is generating more power during a lot of driving situations than my mighty eight cylinder Plus because of cylinder on demand mode, so don’t let number of cylinders bother you.

Good luck, Mike

Last edited by Mike911A8; 03-22-2024 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim69
I don't know about a wagon towing. Do you see it performing on the level of an Expedition? While I would prefer it for my dogs and some bags, I don't know how comfortable I feel with it hauling my UTV or 2 Jetski trailer out of the water. Definitely not the travel trailer. Kinda why we have 2 cars and a truck and a trike for the street.
I don't need to tow anything.