A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Aston Martin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Thoughts on Aston Martin?

Speaking of the Aston Martin factory in another post, the DB12 is my goal retirement car, after the kids are done with college. They really knocked it out of the park with this one. leaning on AMG for power was a strategically wise move and they've now fixed the interior as well. Just STUNNING. Anyone else liking their new stuff?

The following users liked this post:
mikeru (03-14-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Beautiful cars. I wouldn't want to own an AM unless it had a V12, however. Just feels wrong without a V12.
KK22 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Stylistically, I think they are right at the top for grand touring style cars -- very much on the lust list. Driving them is a different thing. I haven't driven the most recent crop, but my general experience has been that they feel like a generation behind the best German and Italian cars in terms of the feel and NVH. Whenever I have jumped from an Audi into an AM, my immediate thought is that I would never trade my Audi for an AM. Just my $.02.
The following 2 users liked this post by A8bil:
KK22 (03-13-2024), pcc125 (04-26-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Beautiful cars. I wouldn't want to own an AM unless it had a V12, however. Just feels wrong without a V12.
The last V12 DBs are now selling for under a $100K CPOed. The DB11 AMR. That brings me to the third best thing about Astons, their depreciation!!
Old 03-13-2024, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A8bil
Stylistically, I think they are right at the top for grand touring style cars -- very much on the lust list. Driving them is a different thing. I haven't driven the most recent crop, but my general experience has been that they feel like a generation behind the best German and Italian cars in terms of the feel and NVH. Whenever I have jumped from an Audi into an AM, my immediate thought is that I would never trade my Audi for an AM. Just my $.02.
That was indeed the case, might even be two gens behind for tech and infotainment. The last Aston I drove was my old bosses DB9. And it felt cumbersome, especially compared to my 30 valve V6 in the B6 A4 manual I had back then.

These new ones though are dynamically and chassis wise right up there. And the infotainment that had a few bugs on launch has been sorted and is gorgeous with proprietary Aston graphics. I mean the only sticking point is reliability which is mostly addressed through warranty. But the German drivetrain will certainly help. Lifted straight from the Mercedes 63s variants.

This DB12 though, seems aesthetically perfect from any angle, lighting, color. "Brute in a suit" as they say. Its good to daydream anyway :-)
A8bil (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

As an AMG owner, just wanted to add, the powertrain in the AMs is not lifted straight from the AMG 63 models. The engine is, and it's a gem, but my issue has always been that AM chooses to pair it with the ZF8 torque converter automatic transmission. The closest AMG model to the AMs is probably the AMG GT coupe and that one used to have a rear transaxle dual clutch transmission connected via a torque tube to the engine. The new AMG GT coupe now uses AMG's own multi clutch transmission that all the other 63 models use. The unique part about that transmission is that it uses a wet startup clutch instead of a torque converter, so it combines the best of a traditional AT with the best of a DCT. On the other hand while AMG is now going AWD and/or hybrid with all their models to my disappointment, AM is doubling down on the front engine RWD layout. If they just used a sportier transmission, then the latest Vantage would be nearly perfect. Even Bentley puts a proper dual clutch in the Continental GT etc.

My bigger concern, though, is AMs viability. They are back to losing money and their stake in the Lucid partnership is worth nothing with how far Lucid is going down the drain. Just waiting for the Saudis to pull the plug on Lucid.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-13-2024 at 10:07 AM.
KK22 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

They're like Range Rovers. I'd love to own one, but only if I never needed it to actually be a moving car.

Last edited by angrypengu; 03-14-2024 at 05:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by angrypengu:
gb4.2 (03-14-2024), KK22 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Interior looks great. Exterior is OK.

MB with the M17x 4.0TTV8 is seeing oil vapor separator failures which cause collateral damage of rear main crankshaft oil seal failure. Expensive out of warranty repair. Read mbworld in the AMG E63 and AMG G63 sections.

Not a fan of MB transmissions. All of them shift poorly from new. The ZF8HP is the best on the market now, but tuning varies by brand and model. BMW does a great job with the ZF8, Porsche on the other hand messed it up on the Cayenne.
KK22 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Love this car, this is money

Originally Posted by KK22
Speaking of the Aston Martin factory in another post, the DB12 is my goal retirement car, after the kids are done with college. They really knocked it out of the park with this one. leaning on AMG for power was a strategically wise move and they've now fixed the interior as well. Just STUNNING. Anyone else liking their new stuff?

the vanquish is the car I love from them
KK22 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Interior looks great. Exterior is OK.

MB with the M17x 4.0TTV8 is seeing oil vapor separator failures which cause collateral damage of rear main crankshaft oil seal failure. Expensive out of warranty repair. Read mbworld in the AMG E63 and AMG G63 sections.

Not a fan of MB transmissions. All of them shift poorly from new. The ZF8HP is the best on the market now, but tuning varies by brand and model. BMW does a great job with the ZF8, Porsche on the other hand messed it up on the Cayenne.
I don't know which version of the M17x AM uses, but the vapor separator as you know seems to be limited to the E63 and G63. As for the transmission, these are supposed to be sports cars or sports GTs and the only proper way to drive cars like this is in manual mode, IMHO and the ZF8 is simply numb as a sports transmission. Great in a Buick, basic commuter car or something for those who just plod along and let the transmission do everything. Personally I drive 90% or more in manual mode. Couldn't care less about the automatic modes.
KK22 (03-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Aston Martin?