A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK: Audi A8 D5 dash cam options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by radders57
I have front and rear cameras in my A8L, my concerns were the same, I also have an aux battery pack, my rear camera is at a slight angle but does not impact the blind. Works fine!
Good to hear that. Do you have the Blackvue or Audi UTR 2.0 installed?
Why do you need a battery pack and would you share some photos especially for the angled rear camera?
thanks
Old 08-02-2023, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radders57
I have front and rear cameras in my A8L, my concerns were the same, I also have an aux battery pack, my rear camera is at a slight angle but does not impact the blind. Works fine!
Good morning . Do you have the Audi ones or other. I just purchased the Audi ones and I have concerns now.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

radders57 has the Thinkware q800 pro

The audi one is sold in kits specific to model so you'll receive the correct wiring etc in the correct lengths. If a kit is listed for your car, it will work. They aren't going to sell a kit for the A8 that doesn't work in the A8. They show two part numbers NPN000005 and NPN000003 which one you need depends on the year of your vehicle. Your dealer should know all the nuances, and be able to do the install.
Old 06-30-2024, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by brian_A8D5
Well the installation engineer showed up at 8:45am this morning and started my dash cam installation, (BlackVue DR900X-2CH + battery pack), after he performed a quick inspection of the car. It took just under 2 hours to complete and I'm very happy with the results. The battery pack has been concealed behind the glove box so there are no visible wires, except for those supplying the cameras. Unfortunately the weather wasn't that great today so I was struggling to get some decent photos of the installation. Here are some I did mamge to take;

The BlackVue android app was initially a bit problematic trying to connect to the dash camera via direct wi-fi mode, but after about 30 minutes of playing around, I eventually got it working. I was able to easily update the camera firmware, (as recommended by BlackVue), and configure the front and rear cameras settings. A quick test drive confirmed the cameras were working as set-up. It appears that the camera 'intelligently' knows when I'm not driving the car, (possibly g-sensor, or gps?), and goes into park mode where continuous recording is disabled. The cameras are then only triggered by motion, or by the g-sensor. As soon as I reverse off the driveway, the car switches to standard (continuuous) recording without any intervention from myself. So far very impressed with the features and image quality but I'll wait before I make any final judgement on the BlackVue dash cam, after all, it definitely is not the cheapest of kit.
I really like your install. Would like to replicate this.

Might be overkill but I'd like to have side coverage as well. Thinking maybe a pair of 2-channel systems would work where the two “front” cameras are mounted front and rear and the two “rear” cameras are mounted left and right. I'd pair them with aux battery packs for parking coverage too.
Old 06-30-2024, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Side cameras could mount in the little triangular windows behind rear door, and maybe all wires for side cameras and rear camera could run to a battery or batteries in the trunk...

Old 07-01-2024, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys,
I tried a chinese cam on aliexpress (link) very cheap just to try it without wasting money for top resolution and at the end it is fantastic.
Perfectly fit the space in the mirror and the video (even I tried the lowest resolution and lowest price) but I will buy the model in 4K considering as good is the lowest resolution product.
So, in my opinion, for the front cam this is the best solution.
I add to this answer a video clip from the cam so you can see quality of the cam and the internal audio recordings.
---pls push the max youtube resolution to see real cam resolution.---

The following users liked this post:
pcc125 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 424 Likes on 302 Posts

sfelisio this looks amazing! The installation of the one you reference (and the price) is almost too good to pass up. How do you "set up" the camera once the hardware is all installed? Do the camera's connections simply plug into the Audi connectors behind the mirror?

Did you purchase the dual camera model or the single? I like the idea of have a front and rear setup.

Lastly, I wonder how the camera(s) will handle the Texas heat. This has been a problem for me in the past.

Last edited by DallasDave; 07-02-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2024, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 246 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by sfelisio
Hi guys,
I tried a chinese cam on aliexpress (link) very cheap just to try it without wasting money for top resolution and at the end it is fantastic.
Perfectly fit the space in the mirror and the video (even I tried the lowest resolution and lowest price) but I will buy the model in 4K considering as good is the lowest resolution product.
So, in my opinion, for the front cam this is the best solution.
I add to this answer a video clip from the cam so you can see quality of the cam and the internal audio recordings.
---pls push the max youtube resolution to see real cam resolution.---

AUDI A8L 2023 dashcam HD
The quality is excellent for the price from Aliexpress and this camera does not look funny like others. It looks like an OE camera and fits nicely behind the mirror. Thanks for sharing the video. I love the area where you live!
Old 07-04-2024, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DallasDave
sfelisio this looks amazing! The installation of the one you reference (and the price) is almost too good to pass up. How do you "set up" the camera once the hardware is all installed? Do the camera's connections simply plug into the Audi connectors behind the mirror?

Did you purchase the dual camera model or the single? I like the idea of have a front and rear setup.

Lastly, I wonder how the camera(s) will handle the Texas heat. This has been a problem for me in the past.
Ciao!
the camera setup is done using the specific APP called Viidure that give you the possibility to setup all features.
The connection is a prewired cable that you connect to center roof lights with native connectors.
I have the fron only... this purchase was a qualityt test, now I'm thinking to buy the 4K version with rear cam 2K
I live in north Italy so not so hot area. Maximum temp is in summer 38/41°C
I suppose it will not have issue related to temperature.

Ciao!!

Sandro
Old 07-04-2024, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcc125
The quality is excellent for the price from Aliexpress and this camera does not look funny like others. It looks like an OE camera and fits nicely behind the mirror. Thanks for sharing the video. I love the area where you live!
Yes mate it seems original equipment, no wires, no stickers, basically invisible. Perfect fit.
I'm located in north italy, and yes, it is a mountain nice area! :-)

Quick Reply: UK: Audi A8 D5 dash cam options?