A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US Spec D5 A8 Auto hold

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default US Spec D5 A8 Auto hold

I just assumed the US Spec D5 has auto hold before signing the paper...

Looks like Audi removed the auto hold button from EU spec cars, and just put a blank switch in its place.

I instead manually engage parking brake when I think the red light is longer than 5 secs, and then tap gas to go. Would this cause problems down the road?

Are there aftermarket solutions to this?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2024, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

no problems but if you dont hold onto the brake pedal the person behind you has no idea you're 'braked'
Old 02-01-2024, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

I commute a few days per week into San Francisco, and in stop and go traffic I use the ACC. It works great. Will come to a stop with traffic and hold position until traffic starts going again. Occasionally, it will time out but it will still hold position. Just pull the ACC stalk forward and it resumes again. Stop lights and signs are different of course because the car does not know to stop.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by A8bil
I commute a few days per week into San Francisco, and in stop and go traffic I use the ACC. It works great. Will come to a stop with traffic and hold position until traffic starts going again. Occasionally, it will time out but it will still hold position. Just pull the ACC stalk forward and it resumes again. Stop lights and signs are different of course because the car does not know to stop.
same. Auto H is a bit redundant with ACC.
The following users liked this post:
A8bil (02-02-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like theres 3rd party retrofit package:
https://europrice.us/retrofit-packag...ll-hold-assist

@Alex@Europrice.us can you please explain how involved installing this would be? Is it diy?
Old 02-05-2024, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
Looks like theres 3rd party retrofit package:
https://europrice.us/retrofit-packag...ll-hold-assist

@Alex@Europrice.us can you please explain how involved installing this would be? Is it diy?
It can be DIY if you are familiar with trim removal and wiring pin designations on plugs. The console trim needs to come up and then wiring is run to the driver's footwell to the Central Elec module to be inserted into one of the larger plugs at that location. Once that is done then there is an included coding dongle which is used to finalize the installation (note that '24+ models may need additional module unlocking to use the coding dongle).

Auto hill-hold is a nice feature for stop and go style driving with the added benefit of working at stop lights/signs as well beyond what the ACC does in traffic.

Cheers,

Old 02-05-2024, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex@Europrice.us
It can be DIY if you are familiar with trim removal and wiring pin designations on plugs. The console trim needs to come up and then wiring is run to the driver's footwell to the Central Elec module to be inserted into one of the larger plugs at that location. Once that is done then there is an included coding dongle which is used to finalize the installation (note that '24+ models may need additional module unlocking to use the coding dongle).

Auto hill-hold is a nice feature for stop and go style driving with the added benefit of working at stop lights/signs as well beyond what the ACC does in traffic.

Cheers,
Thanks Alex! Looks likes it is more involved than what I am comfortable to do on my car. May need to find a 3rd party installer (assuming dealers won't do this) to do this ( I am on the east coast US).
Old 02-05-2024, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 196 Posts

Dealerships that are mod friendly would work, but generally independent European focused shops are the place to go for these types of installs.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
estremoveloce (04-12-2024)