A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW Weighs First-Ever Car Plant Closing in Europe to Cut Costs

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque450
Solid state battery tech will apparently be the game changer.
I really wonder what the % of people are that will never, ever go to an EV. Even today, we're seeing massive swaths of the EV population go back to gas and demand for EVs in North America has plummeted. There's little doubt Trump wins which will further kill off any EV subsidies left, etc. I think the road to EV being mainstream is far from happening at least in North America.
Old 07-12-2024, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I really wonder what the % of people are that will never, ever go to an EV. Even today, we're seeing massive swaths of the EV population go back to gas and demand for EVs in North America has plummeted. There's little doubt Trump wins which will further kill off any EV subsidies left, etc. I think the road to EV being mainstream is far from happening at least in North America.
I keep reading this in the papers but can tell u the low to mid range EV market for 2024 models is pretty tight right now, it seemed to hit bottom in march/April and now supply is pretty limited due to all the incentives. I've been shopping for a mid level EV for around town driving to see if I like it and pricing is about 20-30% higher than it was before.

2025 models r starting to come out so we'll see what the incentives look like for these when the initial euphoria wears off. I think sales r still expected to be 30% of the new car market by 2030. Who knows but I think if ur only using it for gym, supermarket, etc it seems like it would make sense.
Old 07-12-2024, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Not quite. Sales of electric cars in the US exceeded expectations and set a record for the second quarter. *** Automotive reports that EV sales were up 11.3% year-over-year compared to overall sales that were up only 0.1%. Automakers sold 330,463 electric vehicles accounting for 8% of the market, up from 7.2% last year. Most analysts are expecting EV sales to be even stronger in the second half of the year as more models especially from GM, Honda and Stellantis come into the market in the coming months.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

Good question. I for one will never ever go for an EV with today's battery technology, and current ranges in place. Should batteries get better and you can charge one in full in about 5 minutes, with a range of 500 miles plus, I may consider one. I would consider a plug in PHEV with a decent 50 miles plus range.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/13/ev-e...ice-in-us.html
pcc125 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah we've all read the stories and as I said from shopping for one the last 2 months inventory is depleted on a few major models due to the crazy incentives on seriously overpriced cars they had to offer to move them. I'm talking 15-20k directly off the top on a 2 or 3 yr lease. 60k+ cars for mid 350 w inceptions. This is in sfl, can't speak for the rest of the country. Was looking at Genesis Gv70e, lucid, KIA EV9, ioniq5
angrypengu (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pathfinder11
Yeah we've all read the stories and as I said from shopping for one the last 2 months inventory is depleted on a few major models due to the crazy incentives on seriously overpriced cars they had to offer to move them. I'm talking 15-20k directly off the top on a 2 or 3 yr lease. 60k+ cars for mid 350 w inceptions. This is in sfl, can't speak for the rest of the country. Was looking at Genesis Gv70e, lucid, KIA EV9, ioniq5
I would seriously consider Tesla if you are in the market for EV's instead of the new comers you are looking at. If incentives are that crucial, look at the Mercedes EV's as well as the Audis and VW's.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcc125
I would seriously consider Tesla if you are in the market for EV's instead of the new comers you are looking at. If incentives are that crucial, look at the Mercedes EV's as well as the Audis and VW's.
I have an offer in on a 23 eqe350, its a good looking car imo. AUDI doesn't really seem to be participating in the incentive game as aggressivily as others. Tesla just looks like crap on the interior plus once u peal away all the bs marketing and pricing claims theyre no bargain. I mean they advertise the 3model @ 299m with 3k down. Well the 299 is really 400 cause they include 100/m in gas saving, then the 3k down was like 5500 when u get to the final page \so w tax its almostv600 a month wuth no option to buy it out (not that anyone will be buying a 3 yr old EV with the way the tech is changing) fortunately I'm in no rush so ill wait for the right deal to pop up again. Its gonna be a 3rd car for 2 people.
Old 07-12-2024, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an offer in on a 23 eqe350, its a good looking car imo. AUDI doesn't really seem to be participating in the incentive game as aggressivily as others. Tesla just looks like crap on the interior plus once u peal away all the bs marketing and pricing claims theyre no bargain. I mean they advertise the 3model @ 299m with 3k down. Well the 299 is really 400 cause they include 100/m in gas saving, then the 3k down was like 5500 when u get to the final page \so w tax its almostv600 a month wuth no option to buy it out (not that anyone will be buying a 3 yr old EV with the way the tech is changing) fortunately I'm in no rush so ill wait for the right deal to pop up again. Its gonna be a 3rd car for 2 people.
I hear you. Also take a look at some of the newer GM ev's and even some Fords. GM has some good loking ev's. Good luck with your hunt and let us know what you end up getting.
Old 07-12-2024, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

On that very subject...

https://motor283.com/en/sustainable-...or-eqs-eqe-evs

Quick Reply: VW Weighs First-Ever Car Plant Closing in Europe to Cut Costs