00652 - Gear Monitoring -Implausible Signal....Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00652 - Gear Monitoring -Implausible Signal....Please help

I've searched the forum, and I've seen a bunch of people with this problem or similar, but I can't find any posts stating what actually fixed the problem.....Please read my tale of Audi woe...

I have been having this problem on my 96 A6 2.8 for a few months:
Intermittently when I start driving it sounds like the tranny never shifts into third gear and shortly after the CEL comes on with this code:
1 Fault Found:
00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
After the CEL comes on the tranny goes into limp mode. The car seems to shift fine when it's not in limp mode. So far I've tried replacing the gear selector switch and the TCM. There was no corrosion on either or the harnesses (didn't look like a water damage issue). No other DTCs are showing up. ATF Level is OK and ATF is not burnt. Passes all output tests from scan tool solenoids, etc.

I am Curious to know if anyone has successfully fixed this problem, or if anyone could point me in the right direction. TIA
Old 09-25-2006, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you sure you got the new multi-function switch "clocked" properly?

Maybe the original switch was bad and you've sort of duplicated the problem by installing a new switch that's not in alignment with what the transmission is actually doing.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same problem

A couple weeks ago two other members (me being one) posted the same problem.

Both of us had codes like yours and both of us cleared the code using whatever we had to do that.

In my case, the sudden "limp mode" never returned. I don't think it was actually limp mode, I think it was a general shifting problem that in my case was caused by an inept shop that was supposed to check the fluid and levels while I was having some other work done.

I found I had problems going up hills or turning corners quickly, the tranny would rev the engine inappropriately or it would not shift intelligently.

Remembering that these are adaptive transmissions that constantly adapt their shifting patterns based on the driving conditions, I reasoned that perhaps the ECU had been disconnected for some time during the work at the shop and it had effectively lost it's program. Sure enough after just a couple weeks of driving it now shifts correctly up hills and down hills and when I give it the gas. I also had to top up the fluid a touch (1/2 litre).
Old 09-26-2006, 03:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's possible, but unlikely. I followed my Bentley exactly for the install......

The only thing I found to be a bit confusing was the adjusting procedure in Bentley. If I put the switch on the correct position, what is there to adjust?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Check the bulletins in your Bentley...

There is a possibility that you have wiring chafed through. This happens where the harness is supported on the chassis. Also inside the transmission. There is documentation about this amongst the bulletins.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:41 AM

Default after i washed car gearbox entered limp mode happened twice---JHB

Hi Guys
I drive a 98 A6 2.8 and i picked up a similar fault....2 twice now.
First started when i had the car washed using a high pressure hose. when i tried to reverse out the wash bay , i couldnt....reverse light did not light up... after i shifted rapidily between Park and 2 ie moved the gear down and up a few times, the car went into limp mode...and i could reverse. Checked the magnets and circuit board under shifter and all are fine. about 2 weeks later car "fixed " itself,...and no errors...today washed again with high pressure hose and the same fault occured.
does anyone know were water can interupt the transmission electronics directly.