1996 A6 that has been sitting since 08' revamp suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 A6 that has been sitting since 08' revamp suggestions

hi everyone. I am very new here and have come here seeking advice on a 1996 2.8L A6 Quattro that has been sitting since fall of 2008. The car was given to me by a family member who was he original owner of the vehicle from day one. it has been serviced up until 2008 and i was told the cars only problem was that it started to shake after going over 60mph. And has a valve tap when it starts witch stops after the car has been running.

The car starts and it has been driven up and down the street a couple times over the past few months it has 132.000 miles on it right now. I have never taken it out on the real road due to the lack of inspection among other things to test the shaking out. I have a new battery and i cleaned up the car and am on to a oil flush next week. so now that i have given you all a little back story. what do you think i should be looking to replace on the car. and where online is the best place to get OEM or good parts for this particular model.recommendations for good oils would be great too. should i be looking at replacing all the fluids in the car? ( i would imagine so from my past experience )

I use to work on saabs as a kid. I would like to try and do as much work my self as i can and take it to someone when the job needs more knowledge then passion from the start.

thanks guys and i hope i can get to know how this place works a little better over time. excited to get this car on the road.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Considering the age of the car, do you have any info if the front strut has ever been replaced? I would replace the front strut first and see if the vibration goes away.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audiqv8
Considering the age of the car, do you have any info if the front strut has ever been replaced? I would replace the front strut first and see if the vibration goes away.
Or lower control arm, these are the main components of you suspension system.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default struts

yes,they have been replaced. while working on the car the window got stuck down and i took the whole door off and glass off it to see what the deal was and i found the plastic part that holds the tube that the wire sits in at the top broke :-/. i have searched the site and found some great info on this that helped me out a great deal, but i do not see how to loosen the tention of the wire to re wrap it around the wheels (witch are still good and intack)
do you guys know of any threads that might show me how to do this ? and since the wheels are good . its just the plastic part that holds the tube in place for the wire at the top that is broken. can you just replace that or should i just go do the whole thing?

as for the control arm i see the upper arm is super rusted at the joint. (not sure if this is the control arm as well?) but the lower arm looks pretty good. the only other thing i see it there are two bars that connect on the lower arm one has what looks like rust proofing on it that has chipped away leaving it exposed to rusting. but the control arm it self looks actually pretty good.

so maybe you are right they need to be replaced???

i took the front tire off today and its just a mess under there. so much rust on the rotors that its flaking off like dry skin.

the thing that did notice was the break pads are still good and have allot of pad left.

i drove the car a bit today after a week of sitting and putting new oil in. there is no valve tap present at this time after a cold start. maybe could be due to the warm weather?. the shaking is all over now but the tires are all not balanced so untill i get new tires on i wont know. i have a feeling the rotors are warped and just from looking at it . they need some major love.

well i just wanted to thank you for the advice. if you guys can think of anything else to look for that would be super helpful.
trying to do as much of this work as i personally cant take. Its interesting how easy this stuff is to do and how much info is out there to help you along. all you need is patents and you can fix it.

thanks again

-c

'
Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default pic of broken window part

here is the broken part of the window so you all know what i am looking at here. thanks for your help in advance.

-c
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2012, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

here is another picture.
as you can see the wheels are fine as well as the slide. Its just the cable coming off the track.

thanks
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default under the wheels

here are a couple pics of under the front driver side wheel.

advice would be helpful!

new rotors are a must for me as its just a flaky mess under there.. just need to narrow this all down to what parts i need. thanks everyone. any advice would be really helpful!!
Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default slow site...

any other good audi forums out there? this sites a bit slow for comments in this section.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Calmer
any other good audi forums out there? this sites a bit slow for comments in this section.
Quattroworld should sort you out okay