1996 Audi A6 Possible TCM issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Audi A6 Possible TCM issue?

Ok. Lets began by saying that I love this car.

Recently the car would stall out on me. I'd drive it a good 2 miles then it would stall. Just go dead. Recently it stopped going all together. I can do reverse but I cannot go forward in any of the drive gears. I put it in drive, 3, 2, 1, and the car shuts off and stalls. Now the dealership told me sure $2800 we can fix it for you it's probably the TCM. (Transmission control module). I don't have that kind of cash.

I looked around for used ones and I found one on ebay for like $100. then $125 to get it programmed at the dealership.

Is this the likely problem?

I plugged in my OBDII reader and these are also the codes I received:

P0725 - Engine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1602 - Manufacturer Control Auxiliary Inputs Auxiliary Outputs
P1602 - Manufacturer Control Auxiliary Inputs Auxiliary Outputs

Now I'm not sure if the TCM going could cause these errors or not. I tried clearing them and it still died out in drive.

I hope this isn't going to develop into a much larger issue.

If someone could give me some input it'd be greatly appreciated.

The part I pulled was under the passenger footwell area behind the kick plate. There is 2 metal boxes the bottom one that reads control module and the one on top is the one I pulled which I'm assuming is the TCM. However there is something under my backseat that looks identical to the TCM near the battery so I'm not exactly sure which is the TCM. I did find water near the battery but not on it and the flooded footwell on the passenger side which I manage to clear the drain under the hood but still some how found water in there today after I cleared it.

Can I program the TCM myself also?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you do any searching yet?

Your VSS is most likely bad.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tela
Did you do any searching yet?

Your VSS is most likely bad.

Never heard of the VSS. All I know is when it goes into drive 3 2 1 it just dies. stalls right out. I pulled the tcm it looks dry now but who knows how long it was wet. I even opened the metal case to see the circuit and it's dry. I can't tell if it's bad or not. The dealer wants me to pay a lot to check it fix it and tow it to them.

Can you explain the VSS more? if it's wiring am I screwed?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default UPDATE:

Ok so here's a test I decide to try.

The TCM I was told is bad if you can't tell which gear your in on your display.

With the TCM I can see what gear I'm in.

When I disconnect the TCM I cannot see what gear i'm in however I can drive the vehicle in D 3 2 or 1. I was able to drive it up and down the street.

Does this confirm the TCM is bad? or does this confirm that it's just not programmed perhaps?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When you drive without the TCM, the car is in limp mode, right (only one gear, never changes)? Also, I swapped a TCM and never needed any programming.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cerverappz
When you drive without the TCM, the car is in limp mode, right (only one gear, never changes)? Also, I swapped a TCM and never needed any programming.

Correct only stays in the same gear. However I was told if I drive without the TCM I could do more damage.

you just bought a used one? And popped it in and it worked fine? No programming needed? That would save me a huge burden

and I used an OBD II scanner and I got 3 codes for the (B+) Positive battery low voltage but I think that's because I disconnected it to work on the TCM. I can't clear the codes though either. Any help and as much help as possible is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has aim or an email that would be willing to work more one on one please let me know.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wirelesschamp
you just bought a used one? And popped it in and it worked fine? No programming needed? That would save me a huge burden
Exactly. That's how my experience went with a TCM swap, but you have to make sure the numbers match exactly. As far as I know, they are not interchangeable.
Here are some examples I've encountered:
4A0 927 156 AL 1996 Quattro
4A0 927 156 AA 1996 Quattro
4A0 927 156 AH 1995 Quattro
4A0 927 156 AG 1995 FWD
4A0 927 156 N Audi 100

Definitely don't drive around without the TCM in place. Is your car a quattro? I have a 4A0 927 156 AH and a 4A0 927 156 AG, but your car probably uses the newer style module like my 1996, which has two rows of pins instead of three.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cerverappz
Exactly. That's how my experience went with a TCM swap, but you have to make sure the numbers match exactly. As far as I know, they are not interchangeable.
Here are some examples I've encountered:
4A0 927 156 AL 1996 Quattro
4A0 927 156 AA 1996 Quattro
4A0 927 156 AH 1995 Quattro
4A0 927 156 AG 1995 FWD
4A0 927 156 N Audi 100

Definitely don't drive around without the TCM in place. Is your car a quattro? I have a 4A0 927 156 AH and a 4A0 927 156 AG, but your car probably uses the newer style module like my 1996, which has two rows of pins instead of three.

4A0 927 156 AA Is mine. It has the 2 rows of pins. I just want to get this running etc...
Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

PM sent about a junk yard I found that should have a better price. The TCM might have the torque converter locked in place due to a fault. I hope it works out for you. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

While cleaning the drains, do not let water build up behind a clog because the water may pour inside.
This is for informational purposes only. No liability is assumed by either AudiWorld or the author for the use or interpretation of information contained within an article -- all decisions based on the data or information are the responsibility of the individual user.
If your TCM got wet, the water came in from the area beneath the windshield, but before the engine, under the plastic cover that goes across. Remove the cover and go to the passenger side of the car. There is a large black “box” that is part of the climate control system. About a quarter of the way across the car, there is a large drain at the front-bottom of this box. Although they are difficult to clog, 100,000 miles of organic material seems to do the job. I managed to get my hand down there, but a hose or stick will probably work. Dump some water into the drain while unclogging to make sure it is completely clear. In the C4 body, the ECM is more likely affected by water once it puddles inside the car, but when this drain clogs, water goes past both control modules.
As for the sunroof drains, they are supposed to be cleared with a 90-100 inch long but very slender cable inserted into the drains. Dumping water in them while pulling the cable out should help flush them. I usually just dump a cup of water in each for an occasional cleaning while making sure it flows out decently. They are at the four corners of the sunroof. The front two drain around the front door hinges, and the back two drain behind the back wheel wells.

Firewall Drain:

Quick Reply: 1996 Audi A6 Possible TCM issue?