1996 Audi A6 Possible TCM issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCM

I bought a TCM from one of the junk yards and it's doing the same thing as my old TCM. I don't know if they both just need to be reprogrammed maybe.

I found the leaks they are coming from my sunroof running down the top part of the door interior and leaking into the footwells and being absorbed by the foam under the carpet. So I know that's the cause but the dealership wants $130 for reprogramming and I'd have to tow it to and from since I took it off the road. so I figure $130 plus $120 for two to and from and then the sunroof needing to be resealed is gonna cost around another $100 probably so that's a total of like $350-$400. Can I reprogram my TCM on my own?

I looked on ebay for a vag-com also to reset the check engine lights they have ones for $20 but it won't work on my 96 A6 C4 Platform.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

In my experience car computers (ECMs, TCMs, etc) almost never are the problem, yet they're always the first thing folks replace when there's trouble.

I don't believe there's anything that can be reprogrammed, chances are there's a faulty component in the transmission itself and both of your TCMs are fine. If you're lucky it's just an easily accessible electrical component, but you'll never figure it out flying blind without a vag-com.

Here's the exact one I use on my 94 100cs, it will also work on your car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-C...mZ180527718379

Wait until you get it, hook it up, read the transmission codes and try to diagnose the problem component from there.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Vagcom

Originally Posted by Ben2
In my experience car computers (ECMs, TCMs, etc) almost never are the problem, yet they're always the first thing folks replace when there's trouble.

I don't believe there's anything that can be reprogrammed, chances are there's a faulty component in the transmission itself and both of your TCMs are fine. If you're lucky it's just an easily accessible electrical component, but you'll never figure it out flying blind without a vag-com.

Here's the exact one I use on my 94 100cs, it will also work on your car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-C...mZ180527718379

Wait until you get it, hook it up, read the transmission codes and try to diagnose the problem component from there.

I was looking at the chart it works on my platform is a C4 is this for sure it will work on it?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, it works on my 94 C4
Old 07-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can I program my TCM with this? lol. Just kidding I know I can't.

What version of diagnostic software from ross-tech do you have?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default tcm switch

btw I switched out my TCM with a Used one and it does the exact same thing as the old one. So any other suggestions is great.

I found the 2 drains. The one on the passenger door and the one under the hood. I have found the leak problem. It's not with the drains themselves its with the sunroof. I don't know if I have a blown or missing fuse I found 3 fuse boxes in my car. (Driver side panel, Driver side foot rest panel under the plastic siding near the carpet, and under the hood.) Each have a spot for the sunroof fuse but I don't know if I need all them replaced because I need to test my sunroof and it leaks from the seem of the sunroof. I'm not sure if they are dead or its just the fuses. So this is the source of my leaks because it leaks from the seem of the sunroof down onto the interior roof and down the plastic strip along the passenger door gets down there quickly. I tested over and over to verify this is the source of most of the water build up. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Reprogram

Ok. So I got my chinese vagcom cable. Which works very well btw.

I hooked up VCDS-Lite and reset the TCM. I cleared the error codes it was giving pretty much. And now the car shifts between gears etc... when driving. It's an automatic transmission btw.

BUT.... The only thing now that I'm running into is that the car when it does shift its a hard shift. If you know what I mean, like the trans jumps in a way or jerks.

Using vagcom I set it to 00. And it would now switch gears and goes but is hard shifting itself.

Please advise is there away to maybe adjust it using the vagcom to fix the hard shifting?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A thought or two on your problem

I am by no means an expert and my understanding is dim but I feel compelled to help nonetheless. So please use discretion in following any advice here...

A few months ago I worked through problems with my Auto transmission being in fail-safe aka "limp-home" mode. I had all sorts of awful thoughts in my head like finding a new TCM, trying to replace or repair my Multifunction Switch, etc. I had no problems with moisture in the footwells and the connections were all pristine. I ended up tracing it back to a short to ground in the brake light wiring. This was giving the TCM a "Brake Light - Implausible Signal" trouble code. After fixing the short(s) I used my newly-purchased VAG-COM to reset the codes and that was the end of my problem.

I realize this doesn't seem to have any bearing on your issue but through my couple of weeks of research on the electrical systems of my car I gathered a lot of information - one piece in particular being the relation of the Throttle Body to the transmission and the transmission control module. (This may seem obvious but like I said I am by no means an expert). My knowledge of autos is gleaned in bits and pieces. Many people have reported having hard shifts, especially downshifts from 2nd to 1st? due to a dirty/sticky/otherwise unhappy Throttle Body. While I was trying to figure out how I'd reset my TCM without a VAG-COM I came across a TCM/TCU Reset procedure here on the forums. This turned out to actually be a "throttle body readaptation process" but I was hopeful and gave it a shot anyhow. Please Search The Forum Archives as I can't find the particular post I'm thinking of, but I will outline the process I used here. Again please exercise caution and I'm sure that you'd be better off having the part checked/cleaned in the first place. This process can only be done a finite number of times and then the computer will need to be reset somehow, I'm assuming through VAG-COM.

The process (as I remember it): Insert your key and turn the ignition to ON (chimes, lights, etc) but do not start the car. Depress the gas pedal fully. Hold it in for (I think 5-10) seconds and, still holding the pedal down, turn the key to OFF. Release the gas pedal. Wait at least five minutes before doing anything (you can get out of your car). If it's quiet you should be able to hear some relays clicking for a couple of minutes and I personally sat there all the while listening in wonder and barely contained hope.

As for me, my 1993 100cs quattro avant had always seemed to shift very firmly depending on temperature, driving conditions, pedal input. I hate to think there's anything wrong with it as I really like its character. I think there may be a bit of a readaptation process involved too. Depending on how long you've had the car going again, maybe the computer just needs to sort things out.

Sorry for the length of my reply, I wish you the best in sorting this out.

My best advice would be to spend a lot of time browsing and searching the forums. You can also use google with "site:forums.audiworld.com" added to your query (no quotes). It's an imperfect system but I'm sure your tenacity will be rewarded. There are a lot of helpful people here but there's also a huge wealth of information in the archives. I learned a whole lot about my car that I wasn't even searching for, and I'm glad for it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my own troublesome experience, or need to find some helpful posts - I've got them around here somewhere.

-Snowme
Old 08-04-2010, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry I can't edit my first post. I'm also curious which codes you obtained from your reader before clearing them. That would help those in-the-know to diagnose the problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Codes

This is what I get from the TCM even when I clear them they come back.

Tuesday, 03 August 2010, 18:44:27:0
Control Module Part Number: 4A0 927 156 AA
Component and/or Version: AG4 01F 2.8l2V USA D21
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code:
2 Faults Found:
00545 - Engine-Transmission Electrical Connection
31-00 - Open or Short to Ground
00529 - Engine Speed Signal Missing
28-00 - Short to Plus

*Hoping and praying not the wire harness*

Also I get an O2 sensor code on the Check Engine Light.

This is what I've gathered so far. Thanks for your reply the lengthier the better for me it's more information.

Quick Reply: 1996 Audi A6 Possible TCM issue?