1998 A6...Big problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 A6...Big problem

Can someone please help me!! Ok so I am probably the biggest idiot in the world. Here is the story, I have a 1998 A6 Quattro Wagon. It is in prefect shape. 164,000 miles, and in great shape runs like a CHAMP! I replaced the fuel filter, brake hoses, and a few other minor things. So I needed to change the spark plugs, I put in some real nice iridium ones. Easy change, done it a bunch of times before. Well when I was pulling out the old ones, which had not been changed in a long time, I noticed one of the old plugs had a broken side coating. Well when I pulled it out, a piece broke off and fell into the cylinder. Well the stupid side of me didn't really worry about it, and I went to start. I started it and now it runs like it's been through a war. It won't idle right, sounds terrible when I give it gas.
What did I do?? Did I totally screw my engine up? I am just a novice but I love to work on my car. Could a little piece of plastic ruin anything? Wouldn't it just crumble up and blow out the exhaust? I am pretty sick to my stomach right now so any help and advice would be awesome. Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have you tried getting the piece out? Maybe a powerful vacuum?
The only thing you want in that area is gas and air. Stuff like that won't just crumble up.

I'll send you a PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thanks

I've tried just my home vacuum, and i taped a hose to the end of it but that didn't seem to work. The thing is that I cranked it for a few seconds, do you think the little piece could have gone somewhere else in the engine?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jeffrwatkins
I've tried just my home vacuum, and i taped a hose to the end of it but that didn't seem to work. The thing is that I cranked it for a few seconds, do you think the little piece could have gone somewhere else in the engine?
Do you have an air compressor? Crank the piston by hand to top dead center; remove the plug and force air into the spark plug hole, wear eye protections as thing will shoot out of the piston. Now check the new plug and see if it was damaged or try replacing with one of the old plug as a test.

Watch the following Youtube video to see how to get foreign objects out of a cylinder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDL3i6mT8V4

Last edited by audiqv8; 05-31-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default great...

that video was great. yeah so i tried vacuum it out but that didn't work too well. i found a good idea to put some thick grease on the end of a non abrasive wire or small hose and stick it out. I was able to pick out 3 small pieces, but i am pretty confident that there is still a bigger piece in there. i will get my hands on an air compressor and try blowing it out. that was a great idea. thanks for the help i am really worried that a valve or something a ruined. i really wouldn't trust myself with taking the head off, but at the same time I don't wanna fork out a bunch of money. i'll keep trying and let you know. thanks again.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default how do i?

how do I crank the piston by hand to top dead center??
Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jeffrwatkins
how do I crank the piston by hand to top dead center??
Get a socket and breaker bar and crank the crank shaft pulley until the piston is at top dead center. BTW turn the socket clockwise. By getting the piston to TDC this will close the intake and exhaust valves.

Also remember to check the spark plug; the electrode might have been damaged by the foreign object.

Good Luck

Last edited by audiqv8; 06-01-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default fixed it...

thanks everyone for your help. i ended up getting the pieces out of the cylinder by first greasing up the end of a real long cotton swab and sticking some out. i then started it without that particular plug in, and a whole bunch of carbon build up as well as a few more pieces came shooting out. it started up great, i checked the plug it was fine, and it ran fantastic. although at one red light the idle dropped pretty low. that only happened once, so if it happens again i'll look into it. so i think i am good to go until i jack something else up! thanks again.