94 100s Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 100s Power steering

Hello all. New to the forums because i just inherited a 1994 100s. It isnt perfect and has a few issues, one of which is the leaking power steering.

Im 100% positive it isnt the pump or steering rack. The leak is towards the cabin on the backside of the engine. Unfortunately i searched the FAQ as well as the internet looking for any diagrams for where these hoses are located, but have come up empty handed.

Is there anyone here that can give me some ideas of where or how i can look at the hoses? Anyone replaced them or got them replaced that can give me an idea if it is a DIY or a bring it to the mechanic kind of thing.

Thanks. (next is fixing the AC that doesnt work )
Old 06-14-2009, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is a hose that runs along the right side (passenger) of the engine to the rear rack. How are you 100% certain it is not the rack anyway?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The_Hamster
There is a hose that runs along the right side (passenger) of the engine to the rear rack. How are you 100% certain it is not the rack anyway?
I dont have a bentley or any manual so i was basing it on the thought that the rack was closer to the radiator, but based on your response, i might be wrong.

Lord help me if it is the rack. That will cost more than what the car is worth.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The rack is against the firewall. It can be done, but is expensive on the labour.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now im suspecting a hose because the fluid leaks and hits something hot because it smokes. If it was the rack, it would just leak to the ground, correct? I think mine is hitting the transmission or engine block.

*maybe it's just wishful thinking because i dont want it to be the rack. Either way, its going to the mechanic today!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ecapox
Hello all. New to the forums because i just inherited a 1994 100s. It isnt perfect and has a few issues, one of which is the leaking power steering.

Im 100% positive it isnt the pump or steering rack. The leak is towards the cabin on the backside of the engine. Unfortunately i searched the FAQ as well as the internet looking for any diagrams for where these hoses are located, but have come up empty handed.

Is there anyone here that can give me some ideas of where or how i can look at the hoses? Anyone replaced them or got them replaced that can give me an idea if it is a DIY or a bring it to the mechanic kind of thing.

Thanks. (next is fixing the AC that doesnt work )
Check the line going from the pump to the rack. It is a foam covered hose that runs along the passenger side of the engine. Look for fluid on this hose. Your view of the rack will be blocked by the plenum. I had to replace this hose. It was fairly tedious since there is no good way to get at the rack.

There used to be an excellent faq thread on here.....don't know if it still accessible. Do a search on steering rack and you should get an idea of what kind of job it is.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

When my hose went it leaked all over the back of the head/block, transmission and finally found its way to the exhaust manifold.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Malcontent
Check the line going from the pump to the rack. It is a foam covered hose that runs along the passenger side of the engine. Look for fluid on this hose. Your view of the rack will be blocked by the plenum. I had to replace this hose. It was fairly tedious since there is no good way to get at the rack.

There used to be an excellent faq thread on here.....don't know if it still accessible. Do a search on steering rack and you should get an idea of what kind of job it is.
Yeah, i have been doing the whole search thing on this forum, but many of the pics are dead links...depending on how old the thread is. I guess ill just bring it to someone and hope it doesnt cost a fortune.

Thanks