94' Audi 100 Quattro Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94' Audi 100 Quattro Problems

Well, I've basically given up on being able to solve this problem by myself, and no-one in my area works on Audis, so I figured I'd come to the Audi gurus.

My problems first started a little while after the car was purchased from a suspicious character who owned a sausage factory. There were no major problems at first, but eventually, it seems that all the electronics in the car decided to destroy themselves. The problem used to be the ABS warning light coming on and a slight power lag (sometimes the radio would cut out as well), but eventually, the problem escalated. Once in awhile, most of the dash warning lights would come on, and the car would die a terrible death. After a few hours of sitting, it would start back up with no problems and keep on trekkin''.

Well, it needed to be used to get to and from work, so we didn't have much choice in driving it, seeing that the mechanics in my town are useless bastards that charge you for doing absolutely nothing, I didn't have much choice. The inevitable happened and for some reason or another, the battery started smelling like sulfurous death and rained battery acid upon the unsuspecting battery tray. We managed to get an old battery out of an old Volvo, seeing that was the best we could do in a middle of a forest on a Sunday, and were forced to continue on. A few new problems came up after this incident. The E-Brake light would constantly be on while driving, as well as the battery charge light. The coolant temperature (or coolant level?) light would blink constantly, we had no high beams, and for some reason, the coolant temperature and rear defrost worked whereas they didn't before... well, for a while anyway.

In our desperate quest to at least make it the 60KM back home we forced our way onward with guts alone, the check engine light came on and off at random, the windshield wipers were ludicrously slow, the radio died eventually, after that, it seemed that the alternator wasn't charging at all, seeing that all of the gauges except RPM didn't work and the car lost power every time the hazard light came on, which is to say about every second.

Well, eventually the car ran out of electricity, but it at least had the decency to die on the downhill into town. I got my other car, we boosted the Audi, and drove it back to my house.

Obviously, I'll need a new alternator, but I don't think that will solve all my electronic woes. I am also getting a new battery and cleaning up the grounds in hopes that it will do the trick, but somehow, I doubt it.

I also have another rather annoying problem of a noticeable vibration in the back of the car which is especially noticeable at 90KM/H or so. It's a little quieter at 110, but it's not viable driving around town that fast. Also, it goes away completely when turning right. I was thinking, bearings or maybe alignment? Any suggestions?

Anyway, if you guys can give me any advice, I'll be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I thought this was going to be a prank, "suspicious character who owned a sausage factory"

I wonder if this could be the ignition switch.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:21 AM

Default Re: I thought this was going to be a prank, "suspicious character who owned a sausage factory"

Haha, I just like to make reading more interesting.

How would I go about checking the ignition switch for faults? I have a multimeter and guts, but no workshop manual, so I'm not sure how to check it.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good question, for the price of a new one, I would replace it to see if that clears up the issues.

You would need to remove the cluster, (put a cloth over top steering columm cover), and replace the electric portion of the switch.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Sounds like a start

Sounds like a good start. I'll price one out and pick up an alternator and a battery while I'm at it.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's well worth searching the forum for "ignition switch" for some important tips.

buy a genuine Audi part with the 4-ring logo or you'll be buying one another one VERY soon.

don't believe Bentley when it says you have to take off the steering wheel to do the job.

I'll leave the rest for you to find on your own. The Search function is truly your friend in this case.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default PS...since you're a newbie you'll definitely want to see this:

A big thanks to Beep-Beep for starting and promoting this great resource!<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/31818.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/31818.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-25-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Awesomeness

Thanks a lot, that page has about a million useful things, and hopefully, my car will run YET AGAIN!!!

*Evil Laugh*
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would hold off on the alternator and battery unless you are sure they are bad

start with the ignition switch first.