94 Audi 100 s 2.8 auto no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Audi 100 s 2.8 auto no start

Hello everyone I'm at my wits end. My Audi ran fine one day and won't start the next! Here's the story. I power washed the car and engine at work and two hrs. later I drove it home and shut it off. Later I ran down to the loacl drive through and back. The next morning crank, no start! I hooked up my Vag scope and got a code for no power to the crank and cam sensors.I cleared the code and it hasn't returned I also found no power to the injectors and ignition pack. I removed the battery to charge it after cranking it down. A few days later I installed the battery,and the car started right up! I shut it off and no start right away. I thought mabey fuel pump relay, checked ok. Have no idea where to go next. I am a diesel mechanic so I have all the tools necessary, just need direction. Any ideas?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try flashing the codes.

http://www.12v.org/maintenance/dtc.php
Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Please post the exact codes you had

here's a good link to research your codes (see below).

so are you currently getting power to the ignition system? spark at the cylinders?

a faulty cam position sensor will typically cause intermittent no-start problems, but it will definitely set a code. recheck codes because not all codes will set a CEL.

another thing to look at if you're not getting power to the ignition is the POS 'power output stage', another finicky part. it's mounted on the right side of the firewall. Search POS here for loads more info.<ul><li><a href="http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Main_Page">http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Main_Page</a</li></ul>
Old 09-07-2008, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Please post the exact codes you had

I no longer have the codes written down., it's been a few weeks. It did say that the cam sensor b+ was shorted or no power. Tested found no power to cam sensor. Also no power to ignition system. I tore apart the interrior and now have access to every fuse and relay panel in the car, as well as every ecu. Looking up POS now.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Please post the exact codes you had

Also since initally clearing the cam sensor code I have had no cel or return codes. The cel is on or flashing while cranking even though the unit won't start. I got the unit running twice since clearing the code. Both times it happened after disconnecting the battery, charging it, and reconnecting it after a few days. Each time it ran, not great, but enough to drive. I had full throttle response, but idle was slightly rough, and again no new codes. I currently have the battery disconnected and charged.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Try flashing the codes.

Is flashing the same as clearing codes? If so I've already done that, and got the car running twice with no new codes.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unplug every single connector that you soaked with high pressure water/soap...

And blow them dry with compressed air, including down into the rubber boots, which will also be full of water and soap.

Then go buy a can of WD-40 and use it's straw to spray into and basically fill up, the connectors and boots.

You should have a running car after that.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Unplug every single connector that you soaked with high pressure water/soap...

I initally thought the same thing. While cleaning I tried not to directly shoot any connectors some were in the way. All were cleaned and reconnected. But it's been awhile I'm gonna do it again, right now.
Thanks I'll let you know what happens
Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No, he's talking about

reading the codes using <a href="http://12v.org/maintenance/dtc.php">this method</a>. I see you have a reader so this isn't necessary, but now you know! :-)
Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Unplug every single connector that you soaked with high pressure water/soap...

Well I unpugged every connector and cleaned them with Permatex electrical contact cleaner. I reconnected the battery and, no change.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 94 Audi 100 s 2.8 auto no start