any ideas for repairing loose exterior trim???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any ideas for repairing loose exterior trim???

HI!

I really want to re-glue the trim on my '92 100 driver's side black trim. It's all chewed on the end and a new little end cap wouldn't be enough to fix it. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of glue product and a C-clamp...it'd be nice if such a product came in a tube like caulking does...so I could squirt it in between the actual door and the trim..

Does anyone know what I should use..or COULD use??

Any ideas welcome!!

Thanks! (please help!!)
~Christy
Old 05-23-2002, 06:20 PM

Default Replacement is best

I just went through the same thing, only all four pieces of trim - both door moldings and both lower moldings seem to have a problem where the metal piece that helps the trim hold its shape inside begins to deteriorate. I ended up replacing the left rear door trim and replacing a few of the plastic clips on the left front door to tighten it up temporarily. The bottom pieces are next on my list, but the cost is about $65 for each from my local dealer and as I have already spent about $60 on the one piece, I guess can live with it being like this for a little while longer. I tried to find the trim pieces on-line, but everywhere I looked, they wanted to sell me the entire door rather than just the trim. I think that if you tried to use some kind of caulk that it would only be a very temporary fix as the metal inside the trim would continue to deteriorate especially if you live in any state that uses road salt in the winter like we have to deal with in Wisconsin.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Replacement is best

I second this thought. I need to do the same from Minnesota.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Replacement is best

Luckily, in my case, the door itself has zero rust (surprising, since Pittsburgh winters are harsh and salty)...I was thinking maybe there was some sort of epoxy that would work for at least a couple of years..

So...how does this trim work? Does it just slide onto that track? You say the driver's side was 65$ from the dealer? That doesn't sound bad at all!
Can I just slide if off?? Is it attached on the end of the door near the front wheel??

~Christy
Old 05-24-2002, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Replacement is best, but.....

....what I used as a semi-temporary fix was a type of epoxy putty (from my local Ace Hardware) that comes in cylindrical chunk with both parts of the epoxy "together." You cut off what you need, and knead the piece until both parts are mixed together (a uniform gray color). Then apply it to the surfaces inside the trim, and clamp it lightly; sets in about 2-4 hours. Its not messy, doesn't get on places you don't want it, and it should last a long time.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once the end caps off you can slide them off. Installation is reverse of removal.