Battery Drain 1993 100CSQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain 1993 100CSQ

The windows on my 100csq are always powered - even with the car off and the key out of the ignition and door opened, etc. Because of the drain on the battery, I've been disconnecting the battery every time i leave the car for any length of time. Normally after turning the car off the windows stay powered until a door is opened, but that is not the case with mine. Is there any way to disable this feature. I need operable windows, but dont care if I have powered windows after shut off. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Battery Drain 1993 100CSQ

I have a 1994 100CSQ and mine does the same thing except there is no drain on my battery...I just make sure the radio and lights are off
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

Have you replaced your ignition switch, a common failure that could cause electrical problems?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My ignition switch was replaced before I bought the car. Again, I dont see any drain in the battery power in my case, but i did have to replace the battery becuase i left my corner lights on. (9 year old battery needed replaced anyways)
Old 10-19-2005, 03:57 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Go to Audifans and search the S-car list archives.

There is a wire you can cut that will still give you full window functionality. Search for "battery draw" "current draw" etc. You'll find it.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default mine work with key off too, but no big battery drain

when i first noticed a problem, it was a severe battery drain. that was two years ago and the fix was to take out A-1 (fuse/relay) located in the fuse compartment under the hood up by driver' side.

it disabled the "all-close" feather where all windows would close by holding the key to lock. the driver window and roof still close with the key, but no others.

that was the extent of my electrical gremlins. following that, i would notice the driver window closed when i had left if open in the garage over night. occasionally, i would actuall see it close and hear relay down in the driver left kick panel clicking.

the clicking stopped but the windows stayed powered all the time. the latest is that my sun roof will close by itselft when the key is turned off.

all of these are annoying, but my battery doesn't normally drain unless i leave the car sit for 2-3 days. there must be a very small short somewhere and i think i smell a faint odor of hot wire or something like that.

my ignition switch was replaced a while back and i don't think that is the problem, although sometimes I see the driver window jump up a bit when i turn the key to start it.

i probably will replace the ignition switch again but i don't think that is the whole problem. i'm thinking the driver door lock might be a problem. there is a switch connected to it that causes the "all close" feature to work. the ignition switch is somewhat of a pain to change, but i think getting at the door lock will be worse.

write me through my email and tell me if any of the symptons on mine are similar to yours.

from that point
Old 10-19-2005, 06:59 AM

Thank you all for your comments - apparently I am not alone! Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default To dissable the power window function cut the Yellow wire!

this is a common problem, the module goes bad and it is combined with the alarm/door lock module under the rear seat by the battery, thier are 3 large plugs the one in the center has one yellow wire, cut it and tape it up very well, this will dissable the power window function, everything will still work, but it you will loose the power window function after key is off and the ability to close windows ans sunroof by the door key. do a yellow wire search for more info.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: To dissable the power window function cut the Yellow wire!

Thank you! I'll try it tonight and test over the next several days. I very much appreciate your help.

Apsley
Old 10-20-2005, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default to confirm this is your problem, after dark verify

after dark verify your window switches are still lit up. if so then your module is bad and cut the yellow wire. when you open and shut the doors they should shut off.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain 1993 100CSQ