Car is dripping something clear but slippery from right front...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is dripping something clear but slippery from right front...

Odorless, not PS fluid. Don't think its brake fluid either. Got underneath and couldn't pin point the source of the leak.

All resovoirs are full. Coolant, brake, ps, washer fluid, radiator.

Car drives fine, stops fine, turns fine. Just changed oil yesterday.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:21 PM

Default Limited number of choices....

Right-front is passenger front to me. Power steering fluid would be on the other side of the car.

Brake fluid first comes to mine (clear, odorless, slick, etc.) but not very likely. Brake systems are robust and you would probably notice other symptons.

You said you just changed your oil. The oil filler cap is on that side of the car. Motor oil isn't clear but in small quantites (such as a minor spill) it would appear as clear. The color only becomes apparent in larger quantities.

Any chance you may have spilled or dripped some oil when doing the change? How much fluid are we talking about here? A few drops, a spoon full or more?
Old 03-23-2002, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Air conditioning water ???
Old 03-23-2002, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Car is dripping something clear but slippery from right front...

I had some thing simular with Hydrolic PS is very very slippery, clear and orderless. Check the hoses on it because some a have a dual layer design. Internal is leaking but external shows no signs. This will make it hard to track down.

I had to replace the high pressure side on my 89 200 Turbo and I could not trace it down very easly.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Car is dripping something clear but slippery from right front...

what about the compressor oil or gas leak..
Old 03-24-2002, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Doesn't taste like water, sorry, had to take a little taste of it.

If the AC Compressor even runs it'd only be for my defrost. Its like 30 degrees here, not using AC otherwise.

Plus this is too slippery to be water. I'm thinking brake fluid or ps fluid, although it doesn't have an odor, so I'm leaning more toward brake fluid.

DAMMIT!!
Old 03-24-2002, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Limited number of choices....

I did spill a little bit of oil, but it has been leaking like this since before the oil change. I noticed it first a few weeks ago. I do have an oil leak but its from the rear side of the engine and its not leaving spots on the driveway, I think it all blows off while driving because the catalytic convertors are damp and the front of the transmission is damp with oil too.

I can actually sit and watch whatever is dripping. Every few seconds, drip, drip, drip. I noticed in my garage floor yesterday morning a puddle the size of a half cup full of water.

I'm tempted to pull the car out and drop a match on the floor and see if its flammable. That'd help diagnose the fluid to me.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default doesn't smell like gas

does the ac compressor have its own internal oil level? maybe the seal is going bad on me?

I also suspected the steering rack but that would be leaking behind the engine, this is in front.

Where would the brake lines run toward the passenger front side? I know the ABS unit is on the drivers side, but then from there the brake lines all go to each caliper.

I'm stumped. The car runs fine, everything works.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default PS fluid has a certain smell

I am familiar with hydraulic ps systems and I can usually distinguish the fluid by its unique odor. I somewhat suspect the PS pump or a hose has a leak but the resovoir is full. If I notice it going low, I'll drain it and refill with stop leak fluid, but if it still leaks then go from there. Assuming that it turns out to be a power steering system leak.

What side is the ps pump on, drivers or passenger?
Old 03-24-2002, 04:43 PM

Default Tranny fluid?

You would have a hard time checking it so it would be difficult to tell if it was getting low or not. Slippery and odorless. Difficult to spot since the tranny is tucked away under and behind the engine.

The 'clear color' is the only piece that doesn't fit. Mine is an auto tranny so the ATF would be different than a manual gearbox. You would probably be able to see a little color though. Still a possibility?

Quick Reply: Car is dripping something clear but slippery from right front...