Coolant bleeding advice needed, again

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant bleeding advice needed, again

OK, been thru all he FAQs and walkthrus I could shake a sick at and still trouble. I followed austinado16's post below about this and just can't make it work. reservoir full and cap off, bleeder open, revs up. I get a steady stream off coolant out the bleeder and overflowing reservoir. As things heat up, the bleeder begins to give me nothing at all, and the reservoir goes from nearly dry to bubbling over. Close bleeder screw, close reservoir, crack cap a few times and I get a steadyish stream of foam into the reservoir from the upper rad hose overflow thingy. What the hell?<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/82431.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/82431.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd replace the thermostat (can be done w/o removing t-belt) and see what happens.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default planning on doin t-stat, t-belt and water pump this weekend, but...

just went out to car to see if any miracles happened and the reservoir is nearly empty. Why didn't I learn my lesson after buying a GTI? &gt;
Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default These can be really tough to bleed.

Think of the bleed proceedure like this:
You need to get the waterpump really spinning in order to create a nice pressure wave that forces a lot of coolant through the entire system both thoroughly and quickly. This forced out air from pockets all over the engine, especially the head(s). It also makes the engine come up to tempurature really fast because you've got the throttle held at about 2,000-3,000rpm.

You crack a bleed screw at the highest point, because you know that's where the air is headed. Plus, you want that heater core filled with water (and all the trapped air in it forced out) as fast as possible.

So you hold the engine at high rpm, crack the bleeder, keep topping off the coolant tank as needed, raising the rpm as needed to keep the tank from boiling over....and when that doesn't work, you quickly put the cap on and continue holding the rpms. If it really starts boiling and popping, and the fans aren't coming on, shut the engine down for a few minutes. In 10-15min it'll sudden suck down the entire coolant bottle and even more. So remove the cap, start the engine, fill the coolant tank, and do one more round with high rpm. Usually you'll get the fans cycling and while they are running, you hold the rpms up.....because you want to force all the air out of the system.

Then shut down with a full coolant tank and the cap on, let it sit, come back and open the cap, top the tank off, and you should be good from then on.
The following users liked this post:
SmellyCat (07-15-2022)
Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default So just to make sure I have this straight before I take the BIG plunge

Do the t-stat, t-belt and water pump. Now car will be totally cold and dry of coolant. Close all drains and applicable bleeders, except the bleed screw by the heater core and the reservoir cap. Fill the system with water and coolant (to what point,MAX? to the brim? until the bleed screw runeth over?). Start car, with bleed screw and rad cap off. Run at 2000(ish) RPM (right away?). When bleed screw stops oozing foam and starts pouring liquid, whack it closed. Apply resevoir cap. While maintaining 2000 RPM, crack cap a few times (until?). Now do I have to wait until the fans come on or they just should have been on by now? Shut off car and wait half an hour or so, then top up reservoir. Right?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You got it.

Fill the tank to about the Min line so you have some room for the coolant to expand.

I like to "milk" that upper radiator hose slowly with my hands and that forces quite a bit of coolant around.....before I fire up the engine.

I also put my mouth against the coolant tank filler opening and blow into the tank to pressurize the system with the bleed screw loose. Than I can watch the air, then foam, and then coolant come out of it.

Then yes, fire up the engine, grab the rod that goes to the cruise control diaphram and pull toward you to get the rpms up. Hold the rpms up and start watching the coolant tank.....adding coolant as needed.

And yes, you are waiting for the radiator fans to be cycling and for the heater inside the car to be blowing nice hot air, set on "Hi" with the fan speed on about mid way.
The following users liked this post:
SmellyCat (07-15-2022)
Old 01-24-2008, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default "And yes, you are waiting for the radiator fans to be cycling and for the heater inside the car..."

Bleed screw open? reservoir open? Thanks again for all your help and patience.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i'm trying not to picture you....

blowing on the expansion tank. kinda disturbing..... :-)
Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, you want the system "open" because you're creating a pressure wave that'll force all air out
Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

:-)

Quick Reply: Coolant bleeding advice needed, again