Flaky seat switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaky seat switch

My drivers seat switch has recently become a tad flaky. It's lost the ability to tilt the seat-back forward or the base down any longer. Has anyone around here successfully removed and cleaned the internal contacts before? I've done this on my MB when it exhibited similar issues, but I'm not sure whether these switches can be taken apart.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I opted to dive right in and see for myself...especially since the switch would allow the seat to go back but not forward. After a while I got tired of absently trying to make it go forward, only to have it slip further and further back, until it wasn't safe to drive like that...

The switch isn't difficult to remove, but the trim panel broke several clips, since it's really difficult to gain access to the forward retaining screw which is located on the bottom side. The switch halves are a little tough to separate, but once inside, it seems to be fairly neat and organized, unlike the MB switches I've had the "pleasure" to disassemble. It turns out that once I popped the cap off of the seat tilt portion, there was a tiny sliver of plastic yoke that had broken, which prevented the seat motor from receiving the forward motion signal. I did my best to superglue this little slice of plastic back, without inadvertently gluing the whole shebang. Since I didn't think the glue would hold indefinitely, I bathed the entire pivot point in red RTV sealant, which I'm hoping will keep its range of movement fairly constrained.

It appears to be working so far, but if it dies again, I'll just buy a new switch.