Front driver side suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front driver side suspension

On the 97 A6 Quattro, we replaced the front struts on both sides about two months ago (yes the old farm mechanic and his older keystone helper), along with the Pivot Bearing on both sides, and the Sway Bar Bushings.

Lately when the car is going slow (like out of the driveway), there is a “clunk” sound. Seems to be on the driver’s side, and can be easily replicated. Backing out of the garage, left turn in reverse, reach the road, sharp right turn onto the road. The clunk happens very close to the when the wheels are straight during the right turn in reverse. We can also get the sound while going forward slowly, while turning the car from right to left, and left to right.
We were thinking about the CV Joint, but have read posts that seem to imply that the clunk sound is more apt to be coming from the cv axel (no grease). Also not sure of the consensus of the cv joint vs replace cv axel. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If the boot isn't torn why not just grease the cv joint. Remove the axle bolt and then grease the cv joint. Watch the following video and study the part where he grease the joint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSNU4ODZNg
Old 05-23-2012, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Replacing a CV joint is a little bit quicker then replacing the axle. If the boot is not torn the noise could be from the ABS brake system. Over time the magnets in the sensor attract metal dust/shaving (these could be from metallic brake pads, worse case would be the wheel bearing fallinbg apart) and it may indicate to the ABS that that wheel had stopped turning so the ABS system start pumping the brakes. Pull out the sensor and clean it with a clean rag.

Could also be the lower control arm ball joint.

Here's a video on how to replace a lower control arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNhiB...ature=g-user-u
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Da Clunk Sound

The boot is torn on the left side. Will try the ABS sensor per the video, the noise is one clunk during a slow turn right about the time the wheels are coming around to the straight forward spot on the way to the other side. Tried to move the front wheel while jacked up, and heard no “clicking” as shown in some videos.

I have attached a short mp3 (in a zip file) to this message. The cluck sound is at about the 7th second of a 9 second audio clip. It sounds more distinct when in the car, because there is also a small jar. As I reviewed the video of the “wrong bolt in the ball joint”, concept that there is some slight obstruction or an uneven surface that is crossed as the car turns makes some sense. Maybe just packing the cv joint with more grease and a new boot will do the trick. Any ideas from the clunk sound in the mp3?

Order a Vag Com, should be here by Monday.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Clunk just before the end.zip (204.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the exact same clunk that you are describing... I have replaced front struts, strut boots, strut mounts and strut bearings...
my ABS system does not work due to the bad front abs sensors but the problem is definitely somewhere in the front lower suspension... my next step will be to replace the lower control arm..