Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump

Does any one have problem before with blown fuse # 17 Fuel pump fuse acording to the diagram.
When I was dirven the car dies I check the fuse panel and found this one blown, replace, try to start the car and this fuse blown again and again and again, replace with a 30 amps. thw car start and in a matter of seconds blown again.
It is posible the pump is shortted..??
Old 01-28-2007, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A couple thoughts...

I haven't had any adventures with the fuel pump yet, so I'm just brainstorming here....

1)disco the wiring at the fuel pump and then turn the ignition on and crank the engine over. If the fuse still blows, you know it's not the pump.

2)if it's not the pump, work backwards from the pump toward the fuse, tracing the power wire until you find where it's shorted to the body. There is a ton of wiring under the rear seat, so I'd be doing a thorough inpsection there, per the wiring diagram.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it's not the fuel pump it may be the fuel pump relay

...but most likely it's the pump. Cooling fans will also blow fuses when they get tired.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Link to a fuel pump diagnostic and replacement procedure

If you are blowing a 20 amp fuse its really a bad idea to try to "cure" the problem with a 30 amp fuse. You have a short of some type that is taking a lot of current to ground.

The J17 fuel pump relay is under the LHD drivers side knee bolster. It is triggered by the computer once the computer sees that the engine is turning over. With that signal, the relay pulls power off the "30" (always hot) bus and sends the power to the fuel pump and a few other things (through pin 87 and 87a on the relay). The line to the fuel pump goes to the fuse panel at the end of the dash and specifically through Fuse no. 17. Current then flows in a green wire with a yellow stripe back to the fuel pump, following along the left side of the car, under the carpet. If you remove the back seat you can find that wire and follow it through to the trunk and the fuel pump (under the carpet on the hump by the ski-sack). You might have seized pump (did you run your tank dry lately?) which would cause the current draw.

HTH<ul><li><a href="http://www.elektro.com/~audi/fuelpump">click here for the diagnostic and replacement procedure</a></li></ul>
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Link to a fuel pump diagnostic and replacement procedure

thank's all you guys for your guidance, I'm follow all your very helpful sugestions, as soon has the rain gonne I will go through