For the guy that emailed me about coolant and tranny fluid mixing? flush.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the guy that emailed me about coolant and tranny fluid mixing? flush.

<b>Original message :</b>

On my 97 A6Q I notice a drop in coolant fluid and a little "other" fluid on top in the reservoir. I also see some dark "junk" stuck to the sides of the reservoir.

I called 2 dealers regarding flushing and changing fluids for trans and radiator. Both estimated $100-150 for radiator; $300 for transmission. One dealer said I would get a better deal privately as it was ok to not use Audi fluids for older cars (required only for newer ones).

Is this ok and what fluids do the Audipost gurus recommend?

Thanks for any info...

<b>Reply</b>

I think you might as well use the newer fluids. The A6 tranny and antifreeze were upgraded to "lifetime" in mid 1996 so the comment "your car doesn't need the better fluids" seems wrong to me.

It sounds like the engine coolant is being contaminated by either engine oil or transmission fluid. Either condition needs to be fixed as soon as possible. You might be able to drain a little bit of fluid from the transmission (say an 1/8 of a cup) AFTER the car has been sitting over night and see if any water is in it. Is your engine oil level dropping at all? Are there any milky oil traces on your dipstick? Inside the head under the oil fill cap? How much engine coolant have you lost?

After the problem has been diagnosed and fixed you can have the fluids flushed and replaced.

I use the Audi/VW red engine coolant available at VW or Audi dealers. For tranny fluid I order 3 liters of the Audi synthetic but ran short (I beleive the last shop to work on the tranny under filled it and with the wrong stuff) so I added a liter of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: For the guy that emailed me about coolant and tranny fluid mixing? flush.

That would be me...thanks!
Old 07-27-2002, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default AF/Oil leak - overfill? (long)

The saga continues...

I had a local mechanic check check out the AF. He said the "junk" in the reservoir was not oil, but the Audi AF reacts over time with the plastic housing (?!).

Also, we checked an oil leak that appears to be from the rear transmision seal and drips on the cats. He said it was a long job to replace the rear trans seal - had to remove the exhaust and cats. I cleaned the underside and am monitoring it.

MY real question/issue is - can oil overfill from a recent oil change cause these conditions? The Auid owners manual warns of this, saying "oil could be drawn into the crankcase breather and get into the atmosphere through the exhaust system. The oil would then burn in the catalytic conv and cause damage."
When I checked the level after a mechanic changed the oil, I thought it read above the range. After 500 miles the oil is in the middle of the range and the leak is very much abated (if leaking at all).
I smell oil when the fan blows air. Are my cats not shot or can they be cleaned? Would this explain the accumulation of oil at the rear of the transmission?

HELP!