Headlights/Ignition Key Tone! AHHHH! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights/Ignition Key Tone! AHHHH! HELP!

I have a '93 100S and the tone associated with the headlights being on/key in ignition with the door open, STAYS ON CONSTANTLY. It is giving me migrains.

It isn't the door sensors, I can push them in and release them to get a slight change in tone. It isn't the headlight switch I don't think, it comes one even if I have them off or on, makes no difference.

Is it just a loose wire somewhere behind the dash related to the headlights? Can anyone give me some ideas so I can tell my mechanic where to look?

Thanks a bunch for reading a newbie post.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Headlights/Ignition Key Tone! AHHHH! HELP!

You may have checked this already, and I may be wrong, but have you checked the turn signal? On the newer A6's (my 97, for example), if the turn signal is on in one direction or the other, it will turn on that side's parking light, for city parking safety.

Also, you mentioned that if you close the door, the tone changes slightly? I know that on my car, the few times I've accidentally left the headlights on after leaving the car, it was because I had been fooling around with something in the passenger seat, and took the keys out with the driver's door already closed, and got no warning tone.

So, from what I understand, the tone should only sound if the driver's door gets opened. This would go for the headlights, key in, parking lights, etc.

Just some things you may want to check.

Of course, I believe that I've read some places that the turn signal stalks/headlight stalks are kinda finicky. Just make sure that the hadlight switch is pulled all the way down, and not just down one click into parking light position.

Hope this helps!

-John
Old 12-27-2001, 09:13 AM

Thanks for your reply,

I did check the turn signals indirectly by fiddling with both stalks and making sure they were in the correct positions. Jiggling and the like. No-go on that.

I should probably post a bit more on when the problem starts. As soon as I get in the car and turn the key I get the normal stutter tone you get just after it starts. Only about 20-30 seconds later the constant annoying tone starts. Lights on or off, in Drive, Park, Netural, Reverse, it doesn't matter. I can't find a single pattern to what triggers it. Sometimes it waits a minute or two, sometimes it starts immediatly after the stutter tone.

No rhyme or reason.

I will check the passanger door though, I hadn't thought of that, there may be a trigger on that side too. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2001, 09:26 AM

Default Sounds like another door or the trunk

Hmm... sounds like there's something else that's wrong. Assuming you buckle up , it sounds like a warning tone for a door, trunk, or hood being ajar. Now, I don't know if the hood or trunk trigger those sorts of things, but it's entirely possible. I incorrectly assumed this was post-drive time, as you were getting out of the car, not while you were driving. Please keep us posted on the symptoms/timing.

-John
Old 12-27-2001, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know. I can run my engine and open the door, walk around, etc. Chime stops. 97 A6.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:10 AM

If you have an aftermaket stereo installed, that might be the reason. Originally the stereo will be turned off if the ignition switch is turned off. I believe that if you go to a shop that installs stereo's, they can help you to rectify the problem.