HELP! Is 96 A6 Quattro worth saving??? Trans/coolant mix

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Is 96 A6 Quattro worth saving??? Trans/coolant mix

All,

Radiator tank cracked when driving home 96 A6 (2.8 Quattro). Coolant in the trans and trans fluid in the coolant.

I am not too worried about the coolant flush, but is the trans ruined? It was having a hard time operating for about 5 miles (oil temp was running high.)

209K miles. No trans/engine issues prior to this happening. I don't want to change the radiator, then 2 weeks later, trans dies because of fluid mixes.

I know it could be a possibility, but need to use some reasonable/best judgement.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you need to have it flushed with a machine, just changing the fluid wont get it all out. The water is breaking down and attacking the oil and metal parts in the trans every minute. Only way to know is tow it to a repair shop and have it flushed out thourghly with fresh fluid. If you drove enough, you could ruin bearings, Allowed clutches to slip and glaze. you wont know till you flush it really. but please dont drive it. and the longer you wait the worse its getting. oil and water make a very destructive mix
Old 12-03-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
you need to have it flushed with a machine, just changing the fluid wont get it all out. The water is breaking down and attacking the oil and metal parts in the trans every minute. Only way to know is tow it to a repair shop and have it flushed out thourghly with fresh fluid. If you drove enough, you could ruin bearings, Allowed clutches to slip and glaze. you wont know till you flush it really. but please dont drive it. and the longer you wait the worse its getting. oil and water make a very destructive mix
I'll have the car back on Monday. I'll get the flush done ASAP
Old 12-19-2011, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK. After a radiator flush (with old unit), trans flush, trans filter replacement/fill, and new radiator installation, things are looking up!
6+ hrs total. Next time (which I hope there isn't)I could do it in 2)

No trans leaks, good shifting, and temp is running normal.

Now, never good to ask after the fact, but regarding trans fluid type....

Mine is a 96 with no dipstick. What came out was nasty, but looked like red Dextron III. Some have said Dextron III is correct, while others say Pentosin (other say Pentosin was used AFTER 96).

The Pentosin fluid was almost clear in the bottle, which is what did NOT come out of the transmission.

I *hope* I am right of what I put in, but that old fluid was in the trans for who knows how long...

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dont worry about it, just some synthetic ATF is fine. I have filled all kinds of Audi/VW trans with just Amsoil synthetic ATF and nothing but smooth shifts
Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Done!

Yep. Added Dex III and so far, all is working well.

A flush of coolant and trans, plus a filter change and all is working smooth so far.

Keep the fingers crossed!