HELP! No start, no spark, no injector pulse

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! No start, no spark, no injector pulse

This is my first time posting here, and I'm hoping that someone will be able to give me some new leads to chase down in my dead Audi saga.

I have a 1992 100CS with the 12V V6 and manual transmission. The car has about 170,000 miles. A couple weeks ago I was in a very rural area and the car started running very, very rough. It would also not respond as normal to throttle input. I drove for about a mile further and pulled off the road when I safely could. The car was still running rough, and after I shut it off it would not restart. It cranks over as normal, but won't run.

I towed it to my parents' house and borrowed some diagnostic equipment from a mechanic friend. The fuel pump is running as normal, and the fuel filter is not clogged. The ignition switch is fine. The coil tested okay, but the engine is not sending spark to the plugs, nor is there a signal for injector pulse getting to the engine. All of the normal lights on the dash come on when the key is turned, but the check engine light does not illuminate.

My mechanic friend, in consultation with an Audi dealer 150 miles away, decided to replace the crank position sensor and cam sensor first, and then the ignition module if those don't work. Neither of these repairs changed anything - the car still won't start. A new ignition module has been ordered, so we'll see what that does.

I am becoming more concerned that this might be related to the ECU. My questions are:
1. Are there any other sensors (or anything else) that could fail and cause this condition?
2. If the ECU was bad, would I get any indication from the dashboard lights? The display says it's "ok", but I have heard through tribal knowledge the an ECU failure would result in a lack of the CEL when the key is turned.
3. If it was the ECU that failed, would the car have ran on (albeit roughly) before I turned it off?

If anyone has ideas into what to check out, I'd really appreciate it. My car is stuck in rural SoDak, and I'm being forced to drive my beloved Porsche through the snow. I'm not a happy Audi owner right now...
Old 07-01-2023, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lukei
This is my first time posting here, and I'm hoping that someone will be able to give me some new leads to chase down in my dead Audi saga.

I have a 1992 100CS with the 12V V6 and manual transmission. The car has about 170,000 miles. A couple weeks ago I was in a very rural area and the car started running very, very rough. It would also not respond as normal to throttle input. I drove for about a mile further and pulled off the road when I safely could. The car was still running rough, and after I shut it off it would not restart. It cranks over as normal, but won't run.

I towed it to my parents' house and borrowed some diagnostic equipment from a mechanic friend. The fuel pump is running as normal, and the fuel filter is not clogged. The ignition switch is fine. The coil tested okay, but the engine is not sending spark to the plugs, nor is there a signal for injector pulse getting to the engine. All of the normal lights on the dash come on when the key is turned, but the check engine light does not illuminate.

My mechanic friend, in consultation with an Audi dealer 150 miles away, decided to replace the crank position sensor and cam sensor first, and then the ignition module if those don't work. Neither of these repairs changed anything - the car still won't start. A new ignition module has been ordered, so we'll see what that does.

I am becoming more concerned that this might be related to the ECU. My questions are:
1. Are there any other sensors (or anything else) that could fail and cause this condition?
2. If the ECU was bad, would I get any indication from the dashboard lights? The display says it's "ok", but I have heard through tribal knowledge the an ECU failure would result in a lack of the CEL when the key is turned.
3. If it was the ECU that failed, would the car have ran on (albeit roughly) before I turned it off?

If anyone has ideas into what to check out, I'd really appreciate it. My car is stuck in rural SoDak, and I'm being forced to drive my beloved Porsche through the snow. I'm not a happy Audi owner right now...

What was the problem