How to safely lift 100CSQ sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to safely lift 100CSQ sedan?

OK, I have a 2-ton hydraulic floor jack which extends to 14" above the floor, and 4 jack stands. And, of course, in the trunk is the Audi jack. The car has four jacking points, each of which is about 3" X 2". My question for you fellow Audi DIYers, is, how does one go about supporting the car with stands when the jack(s) is/are occupying the designated jacking point(s)? Let's assume one wants the front end up, and uses two jacks at the front pair of jacking points, where then would one place the stands? According to the owners manual, the four jacking points are the only places to place a jack or stand. BTW, I also have a pair of ramps, but the front air dam won't clear them. Should I be looking for a "lower" set of ramps? Or what? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Place stands at the "rear-ward" lower contol arm attatchment point.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:32 AM

Default Thanks, Andrew. I searched the archives (a little late) and found a post...(more)..

from JOB back in 1999, on the A6-S6 forum, where he mentioned a "rather massive steel crossmember....running from side to side, just under the engine." I assume the 100 model has this as well. One reply to this post seemed to think it was OK to jack there, then put the stands on both front jacking points. However, everyone cautioned against using the rear diff as a jack or support point. Any comments?
Old 02-05-2002, 08:36 AM

Default I had the same concerns about the jack points, and also got tired of all the jack work....

so I opted for your last idea: Ultra ramps from Tru Cut Automotive have an extension kit which extends the ramp so the slope is less and everything clears. Works perfectly for everything but wheel/brake work.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I would guess....

...that you don't have that crossmember. (Don't know though)

The lower control arm "seat" can be used in front or in back. This is what I always use....but I don't put the car on stands much.

As to the rear diff...I'm sure you could jack there but you would want to place a block of wood in between the jack and the diff to distribute load. A entertaining, but unrelated jacking procedure.....

Common Front Jacking procedure used on a Porsche 928 (when only <b>ONE</b> jack is available):

1) Place jack under <b>REAR</b> diff (or tranny on a 5-speed).
2) Place a block of wood in between jack and diff(as mentioned above).
3) Jack the rear of the car until the stands can be placed under the FRONT jacking locations (car has to be jacked pretty high)
4) Once stands are in place, lower the jack in the rear.
5) Once enough weight has tranferred to the stands the front lifts off and the rear goes to the ground. (Think of the car pivoting on the stands) Now you have your front-end jacked up using one jack and two stands!!

Not sure if I would do this on an Audi, not quite a rigid as a 928. But, you never know!!

Anyway, on your car I would use the "seating" for the lower control arms! HTH!!
Old 02-05-2002, 10:01 AM

Default Actually, I looked, and I do have the cross member, so what I think I'll do is.....

...put the jack under the cross-member (with a piece of wood), jack up the front, and then put the stands under the designated jacking points, and lower the jack. Thanks again.