Just test drove a 1997 A6 Quattro Avant, have a lot of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just test drove a 1997 A6 Quattro Avant, have a lot of questions

Hello all! I'm new to audis.... but not to cars. I like unique vehicles. I currently own a 92 Subaru SVX lsl, and a 1989 Prelude Si 4ws. I've never owned a german car, but the SVX has been somewhat similar as it is a fairly rare vehicle that requires a lot of attention to keep well maintained. I had been doing a good job of it too, but sadly the thing is starting to rust into oblivion, some lady just hit the 1/4 panel on it, and now my windshield is cracked. The costs of repairing the car are fairly ridiculous, as just the windshield is about $1000 without labor, since it has titanium oxide in the glass.

Anyway, I found a 1997 Audi A6 Avant for sale, it looked nice, so I went to check it out. It's a second owner car, and it currently has 145k on it. The timing belt has been changed, and the engine sounds nice (lots of room too!). I peaked around and it seems fairly dry, the steering rack had a slight dampness on one side. The rear hatch does not open from the outside, you currently have to open it from the inside. It basically stays locked, and there is a slightly air noise when you try to unlock it. Also, the CEL is on, and the current owner checked the codes to find that it has one bad O2 sensor. The driver's side mirrors looks weird... it used to be blue, but there's some sort of oxidation going on behind the mirror itself. It's strange. The front bumper has some minor damage on the corner, but it isn't horrible. The current owner has replaced the alternator, ignition switch, and front axles. The suspension is "okay", but I'm fine with that since I tend to lower everything I own with aftermarket stuff anyway. Now... I realize it's slow, and not as fun as my SVX, but it is nice, sturdy, get about the same MPG, and I'd only be using it during the winter.

Now, my MAIN concern is the transmission. At low speed turns with fairly sharp turning radii, I feel a slight shuddering. From my experience with AWD subarus, this means a huge problem and many expensive repair bills. However, he said that both of his A6s (he has a white pearl SE version of the same car) do that, and have been doing that for over 4 years without any issues. He says they just naturally feel that way. It is not a violent jerking, just a slight shuddering. Is this true?

Anyway, sorry for the novel. Very excited about it. He is asking $2000obo, is that fair?

Thank you!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Joey T

Default That was long.

Verify CEL. Check for suspension availability before you leap. Quattro does tend to shudder a bit, make sure all four tires are identical. Mirror glass goes bad often, it is heated, not very expensive ( at least for the B5 chassis, some C4 owners here will chime in. )

TB should be done every 100k at the minimum, I do all mine at 60k. If the tensioner, roller, relay roller, water pump and tensioner arm were not done, yer going back in.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default All of those problems are very insignificant. HOP ON IT.

The rear hatch may or may not be an easy fix, but other than that - O2 sensors aren't that bad to fix if you DIY, but shop replacement gets pricey. Mirror glass that's heated is 60 dollars a piece available at the dealer and can be replaced in 15 minutes.

As for the suspension, if you are going to do anything you should upgrade the shocks/struts, but don't touch the springs. These cars are high for a reason. I had mine lowered and I HATE IT. I'm probably getting it raised within the next 3 months.

If the owner has done the timing belt as well as ignition, alternator and axles, that's a good bit of investment. As far as the transmission goes, the sharp turning noise is nothing; it's just quattro. My car has done that since day 1. They do naturally feel that way.

$2000 is a good price for that car as long as everything else is in order. If it needs tires, try to knock a few hundred off the asking price, but other than that it appears you've got yourself a potentially sweet ride.

If there is a local audi dealership nearby, you can also have the car undergo a "pre-buy inspection" for around $200. They will go over all aspects of the car and point out anything that may need replaced, giving you points of interest to discuss if they become available. This way you don't miss out on any problem spots of the vehicle, and you leave confident knowing things checked out.

The bumper can either be repainted by you easily (i've done it myself twice), or you can search around and find a junkyard replacement for around $350 shipped (thats what it cost when I replaced mine).

Hop on this car.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Gonna steal here, hey crusin, how much for the springs????

I got a 97 a6 quattro, wanna lower no matter what the outcome is!!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Gonna steal here, hey crusin, how much for the springs????

I got a 97 a6 quattro, wanna lower no matter what the outcome is!! In case you don't have the originals, I'm willing to swap mine.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

my 96 Avant quattro shudders, they all do. It's a sexy german purr-sorta-thing.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome! You're in for a pleasant surprise if you buy it. They are great cars...

...and I think German engineering can be addictive.

Joey T is one of our most knowledgable members and he's got you covered re: your questions.

I'll just add that there's pretty much no stone the members here have left unturned, so you can count on getting help for pretty much everything you'll do/encounter with it.

Check the FAQ's for the Buyer's Guide, but for 2k, if the paint is excellent and the interior leather nice (and if it has heated seats) jump on it.

I put my 68 year old mom in one this past spring, after her having owned nothing but japanese cars for the last 30 years. She loves it and has been calling me every time they had a bad storm (Illinois) to brag that she was out driving around in the worst conditions while everyone else was either at home, or in the ditch.

Oh, and did we mention that it has a galvanized body, so it won't rust. They were $39k new, and $1k additional for pearl white.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a '97 Avant, flat-out the best car I've ever owned. That said...

they are beasts that need to be taken care of, not unreliable in a "leave you by the side of the road" sense but basic maintenance that keeps two and three digit bills from turning into big 4-digit $$$ bills.
As the others have said, mine shudders slightly when doing a 180 tight turn, nothing to really worry about I think. Mirror glass is $30 or so from genuineaudiparts.com, factory glass I just did a month back. O2 sensors are $110 or so each, easy to DIY. Try autohausaz.com for parts, we all use them it seems.
I'd say go for it, spend another $500 really getting things sorted out before you do the suspension and really, if it's a winter car forget the lowering springs, enjoy the extra ground clearance you get. Quattro is fantastic in dry, rain or snow.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ditto on the tires. My prev owner had diff tires. The drivers mirror is not a lot the pass side is.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default re:springs

I paid $250 for the springs including shipping, plus $350+ship for ecstuning S6 camber plates to keep the tires from wearing improperly on the corners. In addition to this, labor was around $500. I would love to trade you. I'd give you the springs and camber plates for $450 shipped or $200 plus shipping for the spings.

Quick Reply: Just test drove a 1997 A6 Quattro Avant, have a lot of questions