Keyless Entry Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Entry Issues

I purchased a 1998 A6 Avant (last C4) a few weeks ago, and I got one standard key (had a button and an LED light, not the IR).

I understood that it ought to have keyless entry, so I picked up a switchblade remote (two button, from a friend with a 97 A6 Avant) and purchased two keys made for the car.

I've tried the two methods for programming the key (turn ignition on with one, lock driver's door, hold both buttons... or press unlock then hold lock). Nothing works. I also tried new batteries to no avail.

The Audi dealer also tried a key fob (older style, the correct one for my car) and it didn't work either. How can I tell if I somehow don't have keyless entry? Are there any other special methods for programming a C4 A6 with RF keyless entry? The car has four seat memory positions, I'd be very suprised if they didn't get keyless entry... I thought that was standard...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Peter

p.s. - The Audi dealer nearby astounded me with their complete lack of knowledge. I feel that I know more than they do simply from looking at this board for a few days! GOSH!! IDIOTS!!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Keyless Entry Issues

I have a 1992 100CS Quattro with a similar problem. Do you have the little black "box" (for lack of a better description) by the driver and passenger doors?? I read you are supposed to point the key at those. I did what you did...new batteries, read the manual, etc. I also asked the dealer and they were no help at all. Please let me know if you figure anything out.
Thanks
Jim
Old 02-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Keyless Entry Issues

If you have the memory seats you have the keyless entry. You don't have the correct remote or fob (the dealer as you said had the right one - 2 buttons: Lock/Unlock and rectagular shape). I don't believe switchblade remote is compatible since the FCC ID is different. If you want to make sure, take out the rear seat and on the driver side you will see the keyless controller p/n 8D0-907-335A. It's possible previous owner "bypassed" the OEM keyless system and that's the reason why you have a remote with a LED. I'm in the process of thinking about "bypassing" the OEM controller since my remotes have died. Nice picture! Check this out: www.audiworld.com/tech/elec52.shtml and www.audiworld.com/tech/elec67.shtml