my exterior trim is kinda fried out..

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my exterior trim is kinda fried out..

is it replacable?? Has anyone else experienced this?? (I have a '92 100) It's actually come loose on the drivers door...and on one spot has a HOLE in it!!!

IS it hard to take off/put on??

~Christy
Old 02-16-2002, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is it the lower rubber trim on the door?????????

If so I have the same problem...it is starting to come off and it looks horrible.(i have not fixed mine yet), But I posted a while back on this subject, and I had a response that the trim piece slips (pulls) off, and a new one costs around $40.00. I had a friend do the procedure on his audi, and he noted that when you buy the new trim piece, it does not come with the 2 end caps (verry little plastc pieces that attach to the end of the trim to give it a finished look). I recommend looking to see if you still have these end pieces, then order the trim piece, and go for it.....
Old 02-16-2002, 04:57 PM

Default yes...

and the rest of the car looks great! I wonder why the trim didn't hold up??

Where could I find the trim?? 40$ sounds pretty reasonable..hmmmm I wonder if USED trim is an option? Probably not....it's probably all wact like ours!

So...you think I could just pull it off?? (pry it off?)

~Christy
Old 02-17-2002, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Actually.................

I believe you need to slip it off...There are some plastic brackets that hold it on, and instead of pulling it off (which would probably damage the brackets), you need to slip it off either tword the front of the car or the back...
I guess it is pretty easy to do...If you tackle the project, let me know your technique, cuz I plan on doing the same soon....
Old 02-17-2002, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The trim has steel channels....

...that slide along the plastic hangers. Water collects in the channel and over time rust the channel out. As the channel rust the stiffness lessens and the rubber warps!!

Only one of the end caps is removable. Pry that piece off with a screw driver (or fingernail) and then slide the trim off. If you don't have the removable plastic end cap...just order another!!

A used trim piece will be rusted as well!!

HTH!!
Old 02-18-2002, 10:43 AM

Default I did this several years ago....

on mine and found it best to got new plastics clips and attach to the inside of the trim strip. Seems to me the trim strip had attacehment bolts at each end that needed to be removed before the strip and plastic clips could be removed as a complete piece.