my understanding of low octain fuel is:

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default my understanding of low octain fuel is:

it lower power output. In other words you need to spend more gas to accelerate to the speed and your MPG goes down. So looks like you will spend more money per mile if you use low grade gas.

what do you think?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree

The higher the octane ratio, the more efficient the burn is in the cylinder = more power. The higher the octane rating the less prone the fuel mixture is to pre-ignite and actually more fuel burns. I wouldn't say there is more power (energy) in a 93 octane vs the same amount of gasoline in a 87 rating. It is just that the antiknock, computer controlled engine is able to put more of the 93 octane's potential energy into kinetic.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Agree. Using lower octane will tend to activate the knock sensors, which retard the timimg...

By retarding the timing, you'll also reduce the engine output, which means gas consumption will increase. For the ~$ .15 per gallon difference (or $3.00 per 20 gal), it really doesn't make sense to use the lower 87 octane unless you can't get the 91+ premium.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default not really

High octane fuels are only more resistant to detonation than lower octane fuels. There is nothing in an octane rating that measures the specific energy of a fuel. It is in fact quite possible for a manufacturer to make a higher octane fuel with a lower specific energy than a low octane fuel (as is the case with most ethanol blended gas).

The only concern that an octane rating has on power is when you run a fuel with too low an octane. This will lead to detonation, causing the ecu to retard the engine timing thus reducing power.

Now of course all that changes if you are designing an engine, but since audi already did that...just stick with their rating.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default close, but power isin't the problem

yes you will increase gas consumption if you are running your engine at full compression (actual not maximum). Keep in mind that if you live in a nice flat, hot, high altitude area, you could possibly run 89 octane gas without ever experiencing detonation because you would never reach full compression. You would actually get the same mileage with the lower gas.

The physics and chemistry are pretty complex. It's generally best to just run the recomended octane.

I probably could have just typed that last line.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 PM

Default That's why I said the energy in the fuel is equal

The controll on the burn is by allowing the plug to start it and not simply compression. You are correct that octane is a rating on pre detonation and not energy within the fuel. That's why I said I can not say for sure that 93 would contain more energy than 87. However, most premium blended fuels (with a higher octane rating) will have a higher carbon composition therby actually containg more power or energy.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 PM

Default But

an 87 octane rating of higher carbon content fuel with an additive to increase the octane rating would yeild more power and better fuel consumption than an ethanol based 93 rating...at sea level or better would it not?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's the first line I was disagreeing with...

blanket statements like that are what get honda owners running 92 octane. Didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with everything; just wanted to provide a little more info.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Without Honda buyers wanting 92

would I be able to get it for my Audi?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dunno, everybody here drives Cavaliers

Quick Reply: my understanding of low octain fuel is: