newbie Q's--picked up a 96 A6 quattro wagon and am unable to get gas door/sunroof open--dont laugh

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie Q's--picked up a 96 A6 quattro wagon and am unable to get gas door/sunroof open--dont laugh

I just bought this car today, it is missing some trim around the shifter and its missing the owners manual. I pulled up to a gas station and I looked everywhere for the damn gas door button, I was tempted to just break the lock on the gas doorand yank it open. The only thing I can guess is that there might be a button on the trim thats missing (the wood trim around the bottom of the shifter)??? Please dont laugh, I dont have the patience for dumb replies, and am not in the mood for much of anything considering the coolant all came pouring to the ground when I turned the car off when I got home (waterpump??)...I just need someone to enlighten me.
One more thing...how does the sunroof open? There is a dial with 3 settings up top where the dome light is---if this is to open the sunroof then either my motor is dead or my fuse is out.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default newbie Q's

First, I'm not laughing. Promise.
Okay, as far as the fuel door, it is controlled by the central locking system. If you hit the master unlock on the driver side door/remote unlock, that pin should retract. If it doesn't, you need to open the panel on the right side with the + sign on the handle (in the rear with the hatch open as you face forward). there is a bypass so you can access the filler door without the locking system.
Now, the sunrof is controlled by that dial to the left of the center dome light. If nothing happens with the key on and turning that dial either direction, Check the fuse. If that checks OK, then you need to pull that access cover and take a look at the connections. BE VERY CARFULL when removing the cover. Almost everyone tries to force it outby removing the rear first and breaks the plastic rearward tabs off. At that point it's useless. It wont stay in place and you'll have to buy a new one. Gently pry/pull down on the forward part of the panel. once you get it past the metal spring clips, it should come out easilly. If all the connections look sound, take the offset wrench on the inside of the panel and use it to manually crank the sunroof open. (you will see where the wrench fits- on the motor itself).
As far as the coolant, we need more info.
Let us know what you find.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: newbie Q's

Thanks for the reply...couple questions though---from what you explained in the post, when the central locking system is unlocked, the fuel door will open? That cant be right...please elaborate.

And do you have any idea where the sunroof fuse is located (no owners manual here)

As far as the coolant....I have no clue yet, alls I know is that it wasnt leaking until I shut the car off after driving awhile and it started pouring out the drivers side of the engine bay, but the oveflow reservoir was still full after it finished.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Correct. when the doors are unlocked, so is the fuel door.

Not actually open, just unlocked.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Once the fuel door is unlocked, you have to .....

push on the door, the side towards the front of the car. I felt dumb the first time i tried to get gas to. Wash pushin on it and pushin. Then after i unlocked the car, it just came open. Boy did i feel dumb. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:16 PM

My vacuum line to the lock was messed up. Once I fixed that, I could pump gas again!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:31 PM

Default As For Your Coolant Leak.

That has happened to me in the past with my 1993 100. There have been no ill effects (it has happend twice on separate occasions) and there are two theories I've come up with. First time happened after I just had the oil changed at a drive through place, and I remember them topping off the overflow tank. Both times it's happened because I ignorantly shut the car off right away after a hard run. The owner's manual states that you should let the car idle for atleast a minute before you shut it off, especially if you've just come off the highway or have been driving hard. I guess that's because any airflow through the engine bay ceases, and heat builds up really quickly when you stop. Idling the car lets the coolant keep circulating, as well as lets the engine fans do their job, and I guess that few degrees worth of difference is all it takes.

Hope this helps,
Rish