Ok, which AT fluid to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, which AT fluid to use?

My mechanic says play it safe and stick with the Audi stuff...

I've heard of all other types being used, from Amsoil to Mobil to ... who knows!

What are you using and why? How much does it cost?
Old 05-21-2002, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well...according to Mr. Bently, XX_1996 was the cutoff date for red ATF and the switch

to all synthetic, a yellow fluid. So I ordered 3 liters of the Audi stuff at $11 each.

Opened up my tranny and found red fluid in there. Oh boy. So I put my 3 liters in the tranny and it wasn't enough. This was when I started earning my money by gritting my teeth and thinking about leaving the car in the garage for however long it took to get more fricking fluid.

I hit the Internet and started looking around. ZIF says Dexron III or equivalent is OK for the transmission. OK. Look at some different transmission fluids, most are red in color.

Humm, what to do, what to do.

Went up to the crappy but close auto parts store (Shucks, Kragens, Checker) whatever it is called in your state. Looked around but had already decided on Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, "compatible with all the other crap ATF in the world" to paraphrase. Bought two quarts (.98 liters?)for $5 each and got a little more than one in. I thought it was a full 1.5 liters but I recant that statement.

Do I feel good about it? No. Will I do it again? Probably. I'll do just Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF next time. I wish I had all yellow fluid but I don't.

I already have a Heinz 57 mix in there and don't plan on getting it all out. The fluid itself didn't look bad to me, just all the crap in the pan and stuck to the magnet which for 60,000 miles wasn't very bad...assuming it was 60,000 miles old. My car has a past I don't know about. Supposedly only Audi worked on it. A differential seal was replaced at the Audi dealer up here before I bought the car. Maybe those clowns put red ATF in the car. Maybe Mr. Bentley is wrong.

I measured what I removed from the car, 2.7 liters just like the Bentley said. I regrettably did not check the "static" fluid level to see if it ran out the fill hole. I think I put back in a little over three liters before it started spilling out. I don't know things are getting cloudy and the initial run where you shift thru all the gears and hold for a few seconds seemed to suck up some fluid too.

Don't know what any of the last part means except get 4 liters at least of whatever you buy, 5 to be real safe. At $11 a liter that's a pain, at $5 a "liter" it only hurts half as much. Is it the same? Is Mobil 1 Synthetic good enough? According to ZIF it is.

What does your mechanic say? How much fluid does he need for the service? Does he have his Vaseline ready for the O-ring and seal?
Old 05-22-2002, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

He guessed 4-5 liters... there's red in there now... yes, $11/liter.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:24 AM

I just let the dealer put in Audi. It lasted this long (165,000)so. . .