possible engine swap? '96 audi a6

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible engine swap? '96 audi a6

i have a few options that i need to consider when thinking about what to do with my current car situation- the suspension is starting to squeek a bit from my 1996 audi a6, and it has 120000 miles on it, just over...

what i was wondering, considering the transmission still runs like new and doesn't slip at all (bless german cars!) how much would a new engine set me back you guys think?

also i know it may sound like a stretch but i was also thinking about exchanging the 175hp 2valve-per-cylinder thats in my car now for the upped engine that '98 and above have (the 250hp 30valve jobber) if thats at all possible, how much do you think that would cost?

it's either that or save up to pay my car off )only 1000 dollars left on the loan) and trade it in to a dealer for a lease on a brand new bmw 325i, and pay $250 a month - which i consider to be very manageable for a brand new bmw every 2 years, please get back to me asap! thanks guys!
Old 07-17-2004, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default it does not worth to swap engine. The best way is sell A6 and get S6 or newer A6.

On the other side, I think engine is not that important. With upgraded tires and brakes it is really fun to drive even with stock engine.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: it does not worth to swap engine. The best way is sell A6 and get S6 or newer A6.

yes but what you have to realize is that it would happen in my ideal conditions - but truth b told i'm a 19 year old college student who doesn't exactly rake in a 6-figure salary or have a lot of time to get a full-time job, so i'm kinda limited to the audi i got, lol i dont have the cash to shell out for a new(er) a6 or s6, so i was wondering if i had taken the engine out of a '98 and put it in a 96 would the engine swap work? plus how much do you think a '98 engine would cost? + labor? just like a ballpark
Old 07-17-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Ask dads auto parts

www.dadsautoparts.com

not sure how much the engine would cost

you can get up to a 2 year warranty on the engine and shipping is pretty cheap and then it would probably cost you 6 to 800.00 for labor and parts, fluids etc.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Ask dads auto parts

thanks a million! i'll check the site out - i dont have any money to speak of right now but it will give me an option or scratch one off the list as to wut i can do!
Old 07-17-2004, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

look for 92-94 S4s, they are going for cheap at times, cheaper than adding a new different engine
Old 07-18-2004, 03:54 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Cheaper to sell the car and buy another.

Engine swaps take long periods of time, even with careful planning - do you have another car to drive?
You will need to replace the engine wiring harness in the process and figure out how to graft it into the car to get it to work with other systems. There is a huge potential for error/failure.
Even if you buy a complete car for the donor, there will be other things you need to make or buy.
If you have a second car, a fat budget, some good solid technical skills, and a ton of time do the swap.
Do not do the swap to save money - that ain't the way to do it - even if your current engine is blown and needs replacement.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

For you age only stick, S4 ($8.5K -180Kmi) or 90Q 20V.Sell the car, do not trade.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:20 PM

Default my 2 cents

first of all, if you decide to get rid of it, listen to 4ring, don't trade, sell it. If you decide to trade it you'll be offered half of what your a6 is worth. When trying to trade in my 97 a6 with 100K on it, I was offered $4000... I sold it for $8900. Depending on where you are and the condition of it, your a6 is probably worth about $6K.

second of all, beep-beep is right as always, it's not worth to swap the engine. I don't know anyone on this board who has put in an engine from C5 into a C4, so I don't think anyone will be able to give you a clear indication of how much $ and how much effort it would take. I don't believe it's worth it.

third, when you consider leasing (I assume) 3-series, are you also considering the cost of full coverage insurance? it will probably equal your monthly lease payment. Of course, it depends on your driving record.

If I were you I'd sell it for around $6K. Pay off your $1K loan. Get another loan for about $6K. And find a 97 A6 in a good condition with around 40K miles, and that had one owner. 40K is a good time for this car to do all necessary maintenance to it to prolong its life. Do timing belt job around 60-70K. Try to work on the car yourself, you'll save a lot of money, and eventually will start enjoying it and will appreciate this car even more. I did.

If you want to save more money you can do what I did with my current car. Btw, I'm 24, had my a6 when I was 22, so your reasoning could be close to mine. Anyway. I don't belive you need to have full coverage insurance when driving a used car around or under $10K, liability will suffice. When you get your new loan, find a credit card that offers 0% balance transfer for at least 10-12 months. Discover and AMEX do it periodically. Transfer your loan to the credit card, and cancel the loan, then you can switch your insurance to liability. Make whatever payments you can make. You are saving money on insurance and interest. If you don't fully pay it off two-three months before the 0% offer expires, start looking for another credit card with a similar offer and transfer balance there. I was able to get a discover credit card with permanent 0% balance transfer if I make a purchase on it once a month.

C4 A6 is not about performace really. It's dog slow. I liked it for its looks, reliability.... and of course because it's an audi.

just my 2 cents
Old 07-18-2004, 03:57 PM

www.dadsautoparts.com website doesn't work for me or it just me?

Quick Reply: possible engine swap? '96 audi a6