Post Head Gasket replacement questions. 93 100s

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Head Gasket replacement questions. 93 100s

I was happy to have no check engine light after changing my head gaskets and running the car. Looks like everything works, and so far no sealing problems with coolant or anything like that.

Unfortunately,I do have a couple of problems though:

1. The temp seems to hold between the two darker lines on the temp gauge. Before It never went much higher than the first line. (this may not be a problem..?..)

2. I can't seem to get any heat when the car is up to full temp. Is there some sort of hot water control valve?

2.5 At what point on the temp gauge will the cooling fans turn on?

3. Belt howl from the timing belt. I changed the belt and tensionors, I assume I didn't tighten it enough, or too much, any ideas?

Thanks in advance, i've had a lot of help from you guys while doing this, and I really, really appreciate it!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Post Head Gasket replacement questions. 93 100s

With no heat it sounds as if you have air in the cooling system. There is a bleed screw on the hose right at the heater core. This may solve your other problems as well. (with the exception of the belt of course)

There is a heater valve, it is also located right where the bleed screw is. It is a round vacuum operated valve that sits inline of the heater hose. Make sure the vacuum line is connected.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Got heat today - Any hints on the howling (or warbling) timing belt?

I was able to get my heat back today. Did the old "Squeeze-the-hose-that-goes-to-the-heater-core" ploy, and soon enough I had heat.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Got heat today - Any hints on the howling (or warbling) timing belt?

questions 1 & 2: Air in the system, bleed it from both bleeder screws.

Question 3: on my '93 100s, the fans turn on just past the middle mark on the guage. that may or may not be normal... I don't know. the fans won't come on soon enough, or possibly not at all if you have air in the system.

Question 4: If it's howling, your belt is too tight and will wear quickly.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Got heat today - Any hints on the howling (or warbling) timing belt?

Did this correct your issue with the temp running higher and fans not coming on when they should?
Old 10-22-2003, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Post Head Gasket replacement questions. 93 100s

1. The temp seems to hold between the two darker lines on the temp gauge. Before It never went much higher than the first line. (this may not be a problem..?..)

Did you torque down your headbolts to the correct seting?

2. I can't seem to get any heat when the car is up to full temp. Is there some sort of hot water control valve?

Did you bleed the air out of the system? The valve for doing so is located under the firewall cover, where the heater box is. You'll see it on the heater hose leading into the heater core.

2.5 At what point on the temp gauge will the cooling fans turn on?

Might not turn on at idle, they should go on at about the first mark after the first solid notch.

3. Belt howl from the timing belt. I changed the belt and tensionors, I assume I didn't tighten it enough, or too much, any ideas?

Timing belt cover is rubbing or the belt is not tensioned correctly... (over tensioned) You should be able to rotate the belt 90 degree's at the longest bridge point, with your thumb and forefinger
Old 10-22-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Timing belt noise is likely the plastic cover...

I had that problem when I did the timing belt service, immediately took it apart and decided that I had not carefully placed the plastic timing belt cover in its tabs. I did loosen and tighten the belt, and the problem went away, but I think it was the cover touching the belt.
Jim
'97 A6qw