Question on center console and rear vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on center console and rear vents

A long time back when I first bought the car the two vents for the rear passengers worked fine, AC and heat. One time when I was doing something on my car, either the stereo or some lighting project, my friend thought we had to remove the center console located in the center of the car to run some wires. The assembly in between the two front seats and goes a little into the rear area. Well we tugged on that thing in every direction hoping we could figure out how it comes out but had not luck. We also couldnt get console to "snap" or fit back into the front console where the shifter is. After that the rear vents never worked and you also cant turn that dial in the rear for passengers to turn the heat or AC vents on and off. I'm sure when I pulled on that console I did something wrong. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this or how to remove the center console so I can maybe take a look inside? Since I cant drive my car now I thought it would be a good time to work on this long time problem. Could this also be the cause of that rattling sound I hear after having the AC/heat on for 15 minutes when I hit the accelerator. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

-Sebastian
Old 02-01-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Question on center console and rear vents

I had the same problem, I removed the center console and the vents didnt work after that. So I removed it again and notice that the plastic tube connecting to the vents was not in place. After an hour battling with the tube I finally got it into place. To put the tube back is not easy, for some reason it doesnt just slide in, so u may need to force it in and when putting back the console have the air running so that u know it hasnt dislodged again. As for the dial it doesnt turn, its on all the time. I noticed this after I was done. When I get a chance again I will try to resolve that problem. However, the air comes out from the rear vents.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey thanks alot, what is the right way to get the middle console out? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Hey thanks alot, what is the right way to get the middle console out? Thanks!

It was a while ago when i did it, but if i remember correctly, there are two black screws in the rear of the console on each side towards the floor which have to be removed. Then i removed the ashtray, pulled the e-brake up, unplugged the cigaret lighter and lifted up the console from the back. I did not totally remove it because, then i would of had to remove the shift selector trim, and the whole console up to the radio. If you just lift it up from the back u should have enough room to work.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Hey thanks alot, what is the right way to get the middle console out? Thanks!

By the way i made a mistake there is no ashtray in the center console. The rest is correct.