radio replacement or RCA L&R plug adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio replacement or RCA L&R plug adapter?

Okay, I've searched. I'm sure something is out there on this and I've just missed it, but I don't get the info I'm looking for from searching or the FAQ. That said, I'm sure someone will laugh and know the answer right away...

I have a 95 A6. I believe it has the Gamma CC radio based on Ti Kan's radio page (http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/).

I want to replace it. It has issues. Well, it could be somewhere in the wiring, amp, or somewhere... because I know enough to be dangerous, I've learned that I probably can't just pop a brand new head unit in and expect all to be good...

Are there adapters that will allow me to use a new (read modern) head unit? I'm guessing no. (BTW - the issues are such that I'd have to do some troubleshooting to make sure this fix makes sense. the radio sort of "works" as is now...)

Alternatively, is there a convenient adapter plug for my CD changer (that I don't believe has ever worked)? I used to have an A4 that had no changer, but a plug for it. I was able to plug in an adapter to this plug. On the other end of the adapter there were RCA adapters allowing me to plug any L&R RCA plugs from any device.

Is there such an adapter for the A6's Gamma radio?

Now I did see the FAQ post where rmccomiskie had torn apart some plug and adapter... but if there's not a handy way to use an adapter to plug something like an iPod in, I'll probably just deal with the radio the way it is.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
Brett
Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just redid my stereo. I rewired everything - 4 speakers, subs, and headunit.

I am so much happier that the new unit is in. The old one didn't do the car justice, and wasn't very compatible or upgradeable to modern technology.

The new headunit used two harnesses, so the wiring from the car plugged into a harness, which then plugged into a second harness, and then spliced into the new headunit.

I paid to get the HU installed because it was too much trouble for me to figure out.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did a Bose-ectomy on my car. The stock speakers are 2ohm so I switched to...

4ohm Diamond Audio separates. I rewired the whole car, I didn't have to take out the old speaker wires, just ran new ones along with RCAs for the amps in the rear floor above the spare tire (Avant). I had a shop install the new Sony HU and I used a Metra wire harness, seemed to go well and great sound.